Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind buffet comparison on Ultra or Road Glides

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 03:09 PM
GW5
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wind buffet comparison on Ultra or Road Glides

All,

If you have read my other posts, we are looking for our next bike, a touring model because at 6'0" the Deluxe is just too uncomfortable. And to be honest, I am wanting back support as well as wind protection.

I can't stand that sand that gets picked up by heavy trailers nor the cage exhaust water drips that manage to hit me in the face. Even the large bugs don't bother me as much as the sand and water drops. Anyhow, off that rant, it's the full touring bike for me as well as more importantly, keeping my wife comfortable. No matter which model comes home I will eventually mod it with detachable hardware to pull off the touring trunk and passenger pillion to put a nice solo rack over the fender.

We could not ride the RGS the other day due to a HD recall for the hydraulic clutch. We did ride an Ultra and really liked it a lot. We both still experienced a degree of wind buffeting and I was wondering if I put a 1" taller that stock windshield would it go away?

Next is the test ride of the RGS. What I am soliciting are responses of comparisons between the Ultra and RGS as far as wind buffeting. My wife is 5'7" and again I am 6'0".

Old 04-19-2015, 03:19 PM
JWilson
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At 6', the freedom shield 10 inch should solve the issue on either bike IMO.

Old 04-19-2015, 03:22 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

No one can really say what a bike will or won't do for YOU - what works for one may be horrible for the next, everyone is different. I'd ride both back to back and decide then. Chances are the RG will give less buffeting but you have to ride it to see.

Old 04-19-2015, 03:29 PM
FLHTCUI05
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw a display at the Harley dealer that had a demo w/shield. Said try before you buy. Might ask about that.

Old 04-19-2015, 03:50 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,600 Likes on 2,723 Posts

Buffeting is an interesting question, many factors.

I have a Road Glide Ultra (which of course means it has lowers and the guard mounted deflectors, two *very* important factors in reducing buffeting), an LRS sheild.

Now, I very rarely ride two up, and when I do its with my one of my kids, and then its for short rides.

With this setup *I* dont have a problem with buffeting at all, but I suspect the wind whips back to the passenger.

I'm told the best solution for that is a Madstad windsheild. From what I can tell nearly every Madstad owner swears by it. For others, they cant get past the look of it. Personally I think it looks kinda cool.

Old 04-19-2015, 03:52 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FLHTCUI05
I saw a display at the Harley dealer that had a demo w/shield. Said try before you buy. Might ask about that.
Those are the windsplitters.

Old 04-19-2015, 04:30 PM
ultraclassic53
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont know about wind buffering, I go by the goatee test. I have a long goatee so I try to find a bike that lets me ride and not get slapped in the face by it. I had a 2013 Road Glide Ultra that was great and didn't have Goatee problems. I bought a 2013 CVO Road Glide Custom, they dont come with lowers, my goatee was all over the place, put lowers on it and solved the problem. Then I bought a 2014 limited, goatee was flying around again, fork fangs helped but not as good as the 2 Road Glides. Bought a 2015 CVO Road Glide. Put a Freedom Shield on it. Once again great beard control. If you want good wind management on a Glide you have to do lowers.

Old 04-19-2015, 04:52 PM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 861 Likes on 541 Posts

^^^^^^ Yep, what he said!!!

Any stock bike will have to undergo some type of mods, regardless of fixed, or non fixed fairing, or just shields.

But for Road Glides new or old, generally speaking, lower fairings, black plastics engine guards deflectors and a aftermarket wind screen seems to make most riders happy as a fat pig in mud!!!!

YB

Old 04-19-2015, 05:19 PM
Afdharley
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 09 YELLOWBIRD
^^^^^^ Yep, what he said!!!

Any stock bike will have to undergo some type of mods, regardless of fixed, or non fixed fairing, or just shields.

But for Road Glides new or old, generally speaking, lower fairings, black plastics engine guards deflectors and a aftermarket wind screen seems to make most riders happy as a fat pig in mud!!!!

YB
On my CVORGU I have 1300 miles or so. Completely stock right now. I'm very happy with the wind management, but, I will say that I haven't had a chance for some extended Hiway riding. Just short trips so far.

Compared to my 14 Limited I get more wind but it is much smoother and doesn't bounce me around.

In a good cross wind the RGU holds the road much better.

My wife says as fats as she's concerned there is no real difference for her.

A few weeks from now we will be doing a 200 mile trip, all Hiway. Looking forward to it.

Old 04-19-2015, 05:39 PM
GW5
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can understand the lowers helping as they stop the wind coming up the shins, knees and up the chest.

Would anyone argue the benefits of the road glide over the batwing fairing in terms of better wind protection or reduction of head buffeting?

Quick Reply: Wind buffet comparison on Ultra or Road Glides