Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind buffet comparison on Ultra or Road Glides

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 08:47 AM
LiiT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 834 Likes on 582 Posts

I have never ridden a RG so I can't speak as to that, but I have been riding an EGUC for several years with lowers.

I recently purchased a LRS windshield to replace a stock one that was starting to show it's age and can only say that it definitely made a noticeable difference for me at 6' 3", especially at highway speeds!

This is the one I got and at a GREAT price..

I should have gotten one years ago and will probably get another one soon to have on hand. Hard to believe what that little curve at the top can do.

A very satisfied customer here.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:33 AM
equandt
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

To the OP:
I currently own both bikes you are looking at. Here is my experience.

A properly sized windshield is a must for both bikes. I'm 6'0" and use an 8.5" Klockwerks on my Ultra and a 12" Klockwerks on my RGC. I (as the rider) have no buffeting on either bike.

As a comparison the Ultra actually gives you and more importantly your passenger better wind protection. My GF can ride all day on the Ultra and likes it. She does not like the amount of wind or turbulence/buffeting she gets on the RGC.

The Ultra with the lowers gives better total protection from the elements than the RGC; however the RGC handles better and isn't pushed around the road by wind like the Ultra. The Ultra will wiggle a bit with a big wind gust or an air blast created by passing a large truck. My RGC slices though the wind and isn't as affected by either of the above.

My GF clearly likes the Ultra better. I like them both the same. If I could only have one, it would be the Ultra just because of the better protection from the elements. I can ride the Ultra later into the year with the better wind protection. FYI - My Ultra has 20,000 miles on it, my RGC has 3,500 miles on it. I guess that also tells you something.

Hope this helps you with the decision. Good luck.

Last edited by equandt; 05-01-2015 at 09:36 AM.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:52 AM
GW5
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWB35, Very cool bike! Love the flames man!

Equandt: I get your points and thank you for the detailed comparisons. It's definitely about making my wife comfortable on the back. I will probably put a detachable kit so I can take the tour pak on and off.

LRS shields do seem to be the ones in demand.