Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Limited radio/CB interference??

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 08:35 AM
jmeleshenko
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2014 Limited radio/CB interference??

Have a 2014 Limited and when I either add a cig lighter USB adapter to either cig lighter or I turn on my "strobes" my CB and radio get nothing but static. I remove the cig lighter USB adapter the radio/CB work.

I have tried several different USB cig lighter adapters. I use them to charge my gopro I have mounted on the bike

I need my strobes and need my CB so I'm assuming there is some electrical issue or maybe I need a noise reducer installed?

basically any additional electrical equipment causes this interefence. Is this a known issue?

Any input would be appreciated!

Old 04-15-2015, 08:40 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Did you turn your squelch up?

Old 04-15-2015, 08:51 AM
jmeleshenko
6th Gear

so the radio will work and when I turn on my strobes, I get static. I turn it off the radio works...same thing with the CB.....i hear channel 19 and I turn on my strobes OR insert cig lighter USB adapter, static.
I believe there is a wiring issue or I need an inline noise reducer?
Is this just my bike or does anybody else have this issue?

Old 04-15-2015, 09:01 AM
jmeleshenko
6th Gear

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-r...l#post13919951

see somebody else is having this issue!

Old 04-15-2015, 10:25 AM
Ride my Seesaw
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,652 Likes on 764 Posts

Both your strobes and USB are creating wide band radio frequency interference that are both high enough in frequency to enter your CB radio. Unfortunately CB radio is also an AM (Amplitude Modulation) device, and as such it is susceptible to receiving impulse noise, unlike FM. The RFI or radio frequency interference are being generated by both your strobe and usb devices internal power supplies. They can radiate interference in a couple of ways, (1) by conduction, meaning through the power or other wiring, or (2) through emission, meaning it's radiating through the air.
Conducted signals can be cleaned up pretty well with proper grounding techniques and the use of ferrite chokes and capacitors. Emitted signals can be minimized by shielding the offending device in a seamless metal enclosure suitably grounded. Your cb is doing what it's supposed to be doing, there is nothing wrong with the bike's wiring, and you have introduced two external devices that are causing interference. I would toss those devices and seek a manufacturer that produces products that are certified FCC part 15 compliant, meaning the devices don't radiate interference. Most USA manfactured electronics will meet those specifications (no offshore junk.)

Old 04-15-2015, 11:18 AM
jmeleshenko
6th Gear

Thanks for the reply!!
I will purchase a harley USB/Cig adapter
I will disconnect my strobes and my blue pimp lights from the battery terminal
once I do that, and I can replicate the issue I will take to the dealership to have them troubleshoot as that would be part of the bike and not any additions (per say)

Old 04-15-2015, 02:34 PM
TurkeyRun
Road Warrior

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Ride my Seesaw
Both your strobes and USB are creating wide band radio frequency interference that are both high enough in frequency to enter your CB radio. Unfortunately CB radio is also an AM (Amplitude Modulation) device, and as such it is susceptible to receiving impulse noise, unlike FM. The RFI or radio frequency interference are being generated by both your strobe and usb devices internal power supplies. They can radiate interference in a couple of ways, (1) by conduction, meaning through the power or other wiring, or (2) through emission, meaning it's radiating through the air.
Conducted signals can be cleaned up pretty well with proper grounding techniques and the use of ferrite chokes and capacitors. Emitted signals can be minimized by shielding the offending device in a seamless metal enclosure suitably grounded. Your cb is doing what it's supposed to be doing, there is nothing wrong with the bike's wiring, and you have introduced two external devices that are causing interference. I would toss those devices and seek a manufacturer that produces products that are certified FCC part 15 compliant, meaning the devices don't radiate interference. Most USA manfactured electronics will meet those specifications (no offshore junk.)
This Sir, has to be one of the best replies I have ever read here.... Well done!

Old 06-12-2015, 05:49 PM
jmeleshenko
6th Gear

FOUND AND CORRECTED MY ISSUES!!!

as I was troubleshooting I had radio on and unplugged antenna yet the station strength seemed the same..that seemed odd

took to harley again to have them look at neck bolt and when they took the fairing off the tech discovered a harley aftermarket POWERED ANTENNA inside the fairing!!!

I am the second owner so original must have added this.

Removed and HAVE NO ISSUE WITH ANY STATIC

BTW...the 1.19 firmware fixed a few issued with 1.18 and I highly recommend the firmware..I did it myself

Thanks to all the replies!!!

Old 06-12-2015, 06:51 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

I wish I knew what the hell "strobes" are.