Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4" Jackpots sound on '09 Ultra Classic

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 02:27 PM
Calvin1989
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 4" Jackpots sound on '09 Ultra Classic

I bought a used '09 Ultra Classic last year and finally got tired of feeling like the back of my right leg was going to burn off. A month ago, I installed a Fuel Moto Stage 1 upgrade with their Pro Billet air cleaner and 4" Jackpot Dyno-tuned slash-up mufflers. I chose the Dynojet Power Vision for fuel management (a little pricey, but useful for possible future performance upgrades). The exhaust heat is so much better and there's definitely a little performance boost, but I'm having an issue with the sound from the mufflers. I read a lot of reviews before purchasing them and they were reported to have a nice low rumble at idle and to be very stereo friendly at cruise, with a decent roar under acceleration. That hasn't been my experience. The idle sound is nice and I originally thought they were pretty good at cruise, but they now seem to drone, which makes the stereo sound like I'm listening to it through a fan. The roar under acceleration above 2500 rpms is good, but the sound when accelerating through the 2000-2500 rpm range, especially when accelerating from cruise (like when climbing a hill) is very disappointing. It has an annoying "blat" to it, that sometimes is machine-gun-like, especially after the bike warms up. It makes me wonder if there's something else wrong with my bike. I'm getting a little bit of exhaust pop when coming off the throttle to switch between first and second gear, so I'm going to run the Auto Tune Basic on the Power Vision and see if I can improve the fuel map. I don't know if that will help the exhaust sound or not. This being an '09 non-California bike, it has a cat-less stock header, and I know that affects the sound, but I don't think this is what Fuel Moto had in mind when they built this muffler. Has anyone else had this issue with the 4" Dyno-tuned Jackpots? I would especially like to hear from someone with the stock 96" motor and cat-less header. By the way, the Fuel Moto customer support has been as good as advertised. They have answered all my questions about this issue, but the main recommendation has been, "be patient". Apparently, the pillow-type insulation they use needs time to "fluff-up", and they assure me that the mufflers will mellow out over time, although it could take 500 miles or more. I'm going to give them a few hundred more miles before making a final decision, but I may switch to Supertrapp Fat Shots, which Jamie at Fuel Moto says I might like because I can tune the sound to whatever level I want. Anyway, thanks for any help or recommendations you can provide.

Old 04-13-2015, 04:03 PM
Crimson
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

I don't have the exact setup.. I got a 103" but with stock decatted head pipe and Fuel Moto's stage 1 kit and 4" jackpots.. and the power vision with Fuel Moto's map. I don't get any popping under any circumstances.. perhaps check for exhaust leaks as well.. Its so tough to describe sound.. I think the pipes are fairly quiet when cold, they definitely start to make more sound as the bike gets hot. When under acceleration is definitely when they make the most noise.. like you describe going up a hill or whatever.. I like the sound it makes then.. but then again, the 103" is probably putting out a different amount of air than the 96" so its tough to say.

Old 04-13-2015, 05:29 PM
wsaxton
Advanced

I have basically the exact same set up.
09 Ultra with 96 motor, oem cat free header, screaming eagle high flow intake, Power vision and 4" jackpots all from Fuel Moto also. Ran it that way for a couple months then added woods 222 cams from Fuel Moto also. Noticeable power increase when combined.
The sound was exactly same for me, with and without the cams. Good at idle, ok at cruse, depends on speed, terrible under minor throttle change like a hill or overpass. I have several thousand miles on mine and they have not changed.
I have talked with Jamie and I am thinking of adding the quit baffle for the Jackpots or going to the e-series to tune the sound differently. As posted above customer service from Fuel Moto has been terrific.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:46 AM
Calvin1989
Intermediate

I saw this thread had a couple hundred views, so I thought there might be a few people out there who were interested in the resolution. I gave the Jackpots another hundred or so miles and didn't notice any change, so I decided to go with something different. Jamie at Fuel Moto graciously offered me trade-in credit for the Jackpots if I went with another Fuel Moto branded muffler. However, I decided on the Supertrapp Fat Shots. I've only had one short 30 minute ride with them, but so far they're exactly what I was looking for. I installed them with 10 discs on each side, and they have all the nice deep, low tones without the higher pitched notes that seem to bother me. Very quiet at cruise, possibly quieter than stock. I could probably run all 12 discs per side, but I think I'll quit while I'm ahead. The Power Vision tuning map supplied by Fuel Moto for the Jackpots seems to work well with the Fat Shots. I might run Autotune Basic to dial it in, but I'm not sure that's going to be necessary. By the way, if anyone is looking for a like-new pair of Jackpot mufflers, check my post in the classified ad section of these forums.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:57 AM
Deckman
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the 4" Dyno Tuned Jackpots and had similar issues. They were designed for the Harley stock head pipes with the CAT installed. With the catless head pipes or true duals the sound is pretty loud and annoying at cruising speed. I also went with the Fatshots and they were quiter, but eventually went with another Slip on.

Last edited by Deckman; 04-21-2015 at 10:00 AM.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:50 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,786 Likes on 22,736 Posts

Originally Posted by Calvin1989
I bought a used '09 Ultra Classic last year and finally got tired of feeling like the back of my right leg was going to burn off.
A month ago, I installed a Fuel Moto Stage 1 upgrade with their Pro Billet air cleaner and 4" Jackpot Dyno-tuned slash-up mufflers. I chose the Dynojet Power Vision for fuel management (a little pricey, but useful for possible future performance upgrades).

The exhaust heat is so much better and there's definitely a little performance boost, but I'm having an issue with the sound from the mufflers. I read a lot of reviews before purchasing them and they were reported to have a nice low rumble at idle and to be very stereo friendly at cruise, with a decent roar under acceleration. That hasn't been my experience. The idle sound is nice and I originally thought they were pretty good at cruise, but they now seem to drone, which makes the stereo sound like I'm listening to it through a fan.

The roar under acceleration above 2500 rpms is good, but the sound when accelerating through the 2000-2500 rpm range, especially when accelerating from cruise (like when climbing a hill) is very disappointing. It has an annoying "blat" to it, that sometimes is machine-gun-like, especially after the bike warms up.

It makes me wonder if there's something else wrong with my bike. I'm getting a little bit of exhaust pop when coming off the throttle to switch between first and second gear, so I'm going to run the Auto Tune Basic on the Power Vision and see if I can improve the fuel map. I don't know if that will help the exhaust sound or not.

This being an '09 non-California bike, it has a cat-less stock header, and I know that affects the sound, but I don't think this is what Fuel Moto had in mind when they built this muffler.

Has anyone else had this issue with the 4" Dyno-tuned Jackpots? I would especially like to hear from someone with the stock 96" motor and cat-less header.

By the way, the Fuel Moto customer support has been as good as advertised. They have answered all my questions about this issue, but the main recommendation has been, "be patient".

Apparently, the pillow-type insulation they use needs time to "fluff-up", and they assure me that the mufflers will mellow out over time, although it could take 500 miles or more.

I'm going to give them a few hundred more miles before making a final decision, but I may switch to Supertrapp Fat Shots, which Jamie at Fuel Moto says I might like because I can tune the sound to whatever level I want. Anyway, thanks for any help or recommendations you can provide.
Please paragraph, eyes bleeding.