Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roadside Flat Tire Repair - Kit / Tools / Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 09:08 PM
miner999r
Road Captain
Received 228 Likes on 132 Posts
Default Roadside Flat Tire Repair - Kit / Tools / Advice

My apologies if these are some dumb questions but I would like and appreciate the benefit of your good experience:

What kit / tools etc. do you carry with your machine to deal with a flat tire on a journey?

Have you experienced a flat; say in the middle of nowhere and were you able to fix it enough to get to where the tire could be properly repaired / replaced? In other words did the tools / kit you packed actually bail you out?

Old 04-11-2015, 09:14 PM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

If you have tubeless tires a simple plug kit and a small pump is all that's needed usually to get you rolling again. Most of the times the tire will hold air with a puncture as long as you don't remove what's in there. If you have a tubeless tire then a credit card usually works well.

Old 04-11-2015, 09:27 PM
r1cochet
Tourer
Received 203 Likes on 86 Posts

I have tubeless tires - I carry the Stop and Go Tubeless Puncture Pilot kit. Very compact, does not consume much room in my saddlebag. This includes plugs and a mini compressor. I have not used this yet, although I've plugged both my car and previous motorcycle tires at home in the past, so I would be comfortable using this on the road. I also have a CAA Plus membership... https://www.denniskirk.com/stop-and-...prd/283536.sku

Old 04-11-2015, 09:33 PM
miner999r
Road Captain
Received 228 Likes on 132 Posts

Thanks gentlemen,

I'm running tubeless tires as well. That repair kit you are showing is very similar to the one that came with my track pack mustang (it doesn't pack a spare tire either).
Maybe I will get one of the kits like the mustang has then. This will give me more confidence than a CO2 cartridge gizmo that I currently have.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:07 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

I carry a tire plug kit and small compressor after being stranded with a flat. I've used the plug and rode on it for a few thousand miles before replacing tire.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:33 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

My last flat was in the middle of nowhere (well rural France to be precise). Both beads of the rear tyre came off the rim, for which there is no roadside fix, unfortunately. The advice above is great, but include provision for an overnight stay if necessary (it took from Saturday evening until Tuesday afternoon to get our bike sorted!).

Old 04-12-2015, 06:23 AM
Peculierboy
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I also have the Stop and Go Tubeless Puncture Pilot kit as well as a compressor, and we used it on our way back from Sturgis to Michigan years ago on my buddies rear tire. Worked great.

Don't recall what pump he had, but I now have an Airman Tour. Best price for it is at Sierra, $20, http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/produ...daoqivkcout234. I think HD has the same thing for $41, lol.

The Cycleman is also nice, but pricy, $100 http://www.aerostich.com/tools/tire-...ompressor.html and the Aerostich one for $50 is also good. http://www.aerostich.com/tools/tire-...ompressor.html

I've used the Airman on a trailer on our trip to Daytona as well as on a car in a pinch.

Old 04-12-2015, 06:54 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

I carry the tire and wheel warranty card....

Yes, I've had a blowout. Last time was between Lexington and Frankfort, KY, 112° out at 3pm on a Saturday.

A phone call and an hour, a truck was there to pick me up.... 6:30pm I was on my way with a brand new free tire,
...and the dealer set me up in a Hampton Inn for $25.

Hole was too big to "plug", I could stick the tip of my pinky in it... I have no earthly idea what I ran over....

Last edited by SafetyMan; 04-12-2015 at 06:57 AM.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:53 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,631 Likes on 1,165 Posts

Originally Posted by Peculierboy
The Cycleman is also nice, but pricy, $100 http://www.aerostich.com/tools/tire-...ompressor.html and the Aerostich one for $50 is also good. http://www.aerostich.com/tools/tire-...ompressor.html
I have a tire puncture kit and that $50 pump. Hadn't had a flat yet, but I use the pump to add air, if needed, before I ride. A pretty good little pump.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:30 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,424 Likes on 2,765 Posts

In a pinch you can use the air pump for the rear air shocks. When I still had the air shocks on my ride I always had the pump in the bag for road trip adjustments, up and or down. It will pump a tire up, just might take a little while. But if in the middle of nowhere, I will spend the twenty minutes to get air in the tire.

Quick Reply: Roadside Flat Tire Repair - Kit / Tools / Advice