Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roadside Flat Tire Repair - Kit / Tools / Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015 | 08:33 PM
dibe
Tourer

I have
this this
compressor. I managed to stick a T-handle plug kit in the case it comes with. Doesn't take up too much room in the saddlebag. Haven't had to use it on the bike yet, but have had to use it on the cars a couple of times. It fills slow but works well.

Old 04-12-2015 | 10:32 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member

ride on , plug kit and CO2 air source.

Old 04-13-2015 | 03:27 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member

I use the same pump along with a Dynaplug Pro Aluminum Tire repair kit. I haven't had to use the Dynaplug kit yet, so I can't comment on it's actual performance, but the product looks to be well made and it's certainly small and packs easily. The best price I've seen on the Dynaplug kit is from a vendor (Motopumps) that posts of the ADV forum. You probably should verify if the prices are current. My Dynaplug Pro Aluminum was $47.99. Sure, it's a bit expensive, but just like in the backpacking world, you pay more for something that's light and packs smaller.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=469

Originally Posted by dibe
I have this compressor. I managed to stick a T-handle plug kit in the case it comes with. Doesn't take up too much room in the saddlebag. Haven't had to use it on the bike yet, but have had to use it on the cars a couple of times. It fills slow but works well.

Old 04-13-2015 | 06:39 AM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member

If you carry the old style (string) plug kit, I'd suggest testing it out by drilling or punching a small hole in a tire, preferably on the rim and aired up then trying to put a plug in. It's NOT always easy on a bike tire. Wear a glove as well. The last time I plugged a tire, half of the T handle broke off gashing my hand.

Old 04-27-2015 | 12:48 PM
David Petersen
Stage III

Originally Posted by miner999r
My apologies if these are some dumb questions but I would like and appreciate the benefit of your good experience:

What kit / tools etc. do you carry with your machine to deal with a flat tire on a journey?

Have you experienced a flat; say in the middle of nowhere and were you able to fix it enough to get to where the tire could be properly repaired / replaced? In other words did the tools / kit you packed actually bail you out?
For a heavy bike like an HD, don't settle for just any tire repair kit, because the stuff you buy at your local auto parts store really isn't up to the task, nor is a mushroom plug that is held in by nothing more than air pressure and friction.

You want a kit that will be easy to use and one that vulcanizes the repair strings to the tire carcass.

Personally, I use a tire repair kit made by BestRest. It uses the same strings and vulcanizing glue that is used to repair tires on semi-trucks. If it'll repair those tires, it'll work on a HD, or in my case a BMW K11LT.

http://www.bestrestproducts.com/p-23...epair-kit.aspx

Old 04-27-2015 | 08:53 PM
Highwayman-AL
Tourer

Originally Posted by r1cochet
I have tubeless tires - I carry the Stop and Go Tubeless Puncture Pilot kit. Very compact, does not consume much room in my saddlebag. This includes plugs and a mini compressor. I have not used this yet, although I've plugged both my car and previous motorcycle tires at home in the past, so I would be comfortable using this on the road. I also have a CAA Plus membership... https://www.denniskirk.com/stop-and-...prd/283536.sku
Stop and Go here also, I carry a pump for the shocks that can be used for for the tires, but I have c02 cartridges also. I have used it about 3 times and saved me during 2 bike rally's and a club run.

Old 04-27-2015 | 10:11 PM
mid30
Cruiser

Mine have tubes now so am a hog member so will cover my tow. When I had my sporty carried a plug kit and slime tire electric pump. Used it once on my bike and several times on others. My tire that I plugged was new and only had 500 miles on it. Rode it till it wore out and replaced it then.

Old 04-27-2015 | 10:40 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by DCLXVI
If you have tubeless tires a simple plug kit and a small pump is all that's needed usually to get you rolling again.
I tried fixing a fairly large hole in a front tire with a "simple" plug kit. Wouldn't work for me even with two plugs in. After that, I bought Stop N Go. Haven't used them on my bike but when I was on a trip in Southern Utah I fixed a rear tire for a guy on a Honda that had picked up a nail. Worked like a charm.

Edit: I see someone beat me to it. The Dennis Kirk package is cheaper than buying them separate.

Last edited by FXDXTSport; 04-27-2015 at 11:02 PM.
Old 04-28-2015 | 09:29 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member

Best to go tube less and that's what I did with wife's 08 spoke wheeled UC once friend's wife had a flat with tube in middle of no where no cell and closest city was in different state and towing co. won't cross state due to toll line, long story short 8 hrs ride turned out be 17 hrs.Had compressor, plugs and whole shebang on my bike and it was use less on that bike.