Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Called a dealership here in Indianapolis about a license plate bracket

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015 | 02:32 PM
kylebru1
|
Tourer
Default Called a dealership here in Indianapolis about a license plate bracket

I'm taking my tour pack off my 2011 ultra classic. I didn't realize the license plate was mounted to be bottom of the pack. When I asked if they had a mount for it, the guy took 10 minutes to look up the part, then him and another guy said that it was cheaper to just buy the quick detach it.......WTF????

Old 04-11-2015 | 02:49 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member

It's been that way for awhile. My Road Glide came with the quick detach kit from the factory, and at the time the kit over the counter was only about $60.

I'm sure you can go either way but the quick detach kit was nice to have.

Last edited by Stiggy; 04-11-2015 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-11-2015 | 02:54 PM
ultra_classic
Club Member

Originally Posted by kylebru1
I'm taking my tour pack off my 2011 ultra classic. I didn't realize the license plate was mounted to be bottom of the pack. When I asked if they had a mount for it, the guy took 10 minutes to look up the part, then him and another guy said that it was cheaper to just buy the quick detach it.......WTF????
is this your first trip to the dealer?

just kidding, well the quick detach kit has all the piece$ you will need, BUT wait theres more...the lic plate relocate kit sucks, its basically a bill board that puts the plate near the old spot but mounted from the fender up, instead of tour pack bracket down,

some guys in hacked or cheap fixes thread have come up with some good ideas o make it less "in your face" and partial "laid down"

Last edited by ultra_classic; 04-11-2015 at 02:55 PM. Reason: removed bad link
Old 04-11-2015 | 05:22 PM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member

You could use a signal bar and plate mount from an 09-up road king standard.

Old 04-11-2015 | 08:09 PM
HDK
Tourer

I just picked my 09 Ultra up from the dealer this afternoon after install of the quick detach kit. Haven't taken it off yet. Waiting til tomorrow and will post pics. I like you toiled over how to relocate the plate because the solution with the kit had it sticking up above the tail light which I did not like.
After working with the dealer we came up with part # 53702-04a which is a plate relocation kit that is only supposed to fit up to 08 touring models. They said it would work but that the trim piece that comes with it that replaces the fender tip light wouldn't fit. They would just keep the fender light on. I think it turned out good and the cost of the part was $259.95. I struggled with spending that much just to move the plate and had looked at several other cheaper solutions that would have worked but would have had to been modified or were just cheaper items. My wife made the decision for me when she said you spent over $15,000 on the bike. Why are you worried about $259. If you are going to do it then do it right. Pic of the rear end is attached. See what you think.

Attached Thumbnails Called a dealership here in Indianapolis about a license plate bracket-license-plate-relocation.jpg  
Old 04-11-2015 | 08:35 PM
kylebru1
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by HDK
I just picked my 09 Ultra up from the dealer this afternoon after install of the quick detach kit. Haven't taken it off yet. Waiting til tomorrow and will post pics. I like you toiled over how to relocate the plate because the solution with the kit had it sticking up above the tail light which I did not like.
After working with the dealer we came up with part # 53702-04a which is a plate relocation kit that is only supposed to fit up to 08 touring models. They said it would work but that the trim piece that comes with it that replaces the fender tip light wouldn't fit. They would just keep the fender light on. I think it turned out good and the cost of the part was $259.95. I struggled with spending that much just to move the plate and had looked at several other cheaper solutions that would have worked but would have had to been modified or were just cheaper items. My wife made the decision for me when she said you spent over $15,000 on the bike. Why are you worried about $259. If you are going to do it then do it right. Pic of the rear end is attached. See what you think.
It looks great, but I don't have the cash to spend on that unfortunately. I just don't want the tour pack on other than when I need it which isn't very often. Not often enough to justify the money it costs for a quick detach.

Old 04-11-2015 | 09:13 PM
HDK
Tourer

The other option that I had originally planned on was cheap and may have worked ok. I had purchased a laydown license plate holder for $29 at the dealer. It was drag specialties I believe. The problem was how to get light to it with the original light bar. One option was to use led light bolts to mount the license plate. Just have to wire them to the tail light. You can get them online for $10. The other option was to purchase just the light bar like the one I just put on the bike. I believe it's for a street glide. Can find them on ebay from time to time. There is one on there now for $103 I think. Kuryakan sells a kit as well I think.

Old 04-12-2015 | 07:17 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by dansflhti
You could use a signal bar and plate mount from an 09-up road king standard.
yes this will work - you can probably find a take-off from someone that put street glide lights or stretched bags on theirs... check the forum classifieds...

Old 04-12-2015 | 10:04 AM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member

Probably cheapest solution is JP Cycles or Softbrake bottom license plate mount. You'd also need new taillight lens with clear bottom which JP Cycles also carries.
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/3400012
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/3400006

Last edited by acchd; 04-12-2015 at 10:17 AM.