Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail of the dragon and the blue ridge parkway

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 12:49 PM
johnnyfd
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from deals gap, take 28 toward Maggie Valley. Wheels through time is worth the stop. But I think he's closed on Wed. so keep that in mind. There is so much good riding from there that you don't have to go to Asheville. And F Biltmore. Why would you want to go there? There's lots of good riding in all directions, but if you want to get back to Nashville, you might consider staying in the area west and south of Maggie Valley. Blue Ridge like someone said, is real nice in GSMP area. It ends in Cherokee. The waterfalls are all in that area, and did I mention the great riding? If you aren't continuing east from Maggie Valley, then don't. Just my two cents.

Old 04-18-2015, 04:42 PM
FlamedFXR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,677 Likes on 702 Posts

Originally Posted by tmultra
also if it is your first time riding the dragon keep your eyes open for the websites to the photographers along the road. Nice way to get a professional photo of yourself riding.
dont look at the cameraman.....

Old 04-18-2015, 07:54 PM
MacTarnahan
Tourer
Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts

In Nashville tour The Hermitage, President Andrew Jackson's plantation. She'll love that. Only presidential home that was always in family before becoming museum. Still has original wallpaper, slave cabins, cotton fields where you can pick cotton and the family cemetery. Tail of Dragon is short, you can do it couple times in both directions, there are other routes there as well. Whole area is beautiful with rides along the lakes and rivers.
Have fun!

Old 06-01-2015, 10:04 PM
hdmike
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Making final route plans. Head out Saturday A.M.
Anyone ever check out Mount Airy ?

Old 06-01-2015, 10:16 PM
maverickwolfe
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You can spend a lot of time in Gatlinburg looking at all of the artisan shops (if you stay away from the Parkway and find Glades Rd up Hwy 321) or the touristy stuff - Ripley's aquarium, magic shows, a lot of free moonshine/whiskey tastings (I happen to be the Audio Engineer at Sugarlands Distillery in the middle of town, and there's generally free music happening at 7pm) Bryson City and Cherokee aren't far from the Dragon and the Great Smokey Mountains National Park has lots of views - I highly recommend Cades Cove if you have time.

Last edited by maverickwolfe; 06-01-2015 at 10:19 PM.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:19 AM
mkekid
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Me too!

Originally Posted by hdkev
Im leaving from Milwaukee. I've heard that about the dragon. Ill be there thursday. Its just going to be just me and my wife. She wants to do more than just ride so I have to find things she would like too.
I'm leaving Milwaukee for The Dragon/Blue Ridge Parkway with a buddy of mine the second week of July. First time for me and I can't wait. (My friend went last year) We're leaving early on a Monday. Hope your trip goes well!

Old 06-02-2015, 06:33 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by hdmike
Yeah, I have. This is the place where they filmed The Andy Griffith Show. Enjoyed looking at the buildings and old vehicles sitting there. Be sure to stop by in downtown, check out The Diner and The Candy Store next door. Just in awe.

Thorey

Old 06-02-2015, 07:13 AM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 255 Likes on 182 Posts

Wife and I were there in Oct., spent 2 days there coming back from Florida. If you remember the Andy Griffith show, you'll enjoy it, make sure to walk downtown and visit the Andy Griffith Museum and the Filling Station. Took a ride up to Pilot Mountain (Mt. Pilot), not a lot to see but beautiful views. I'm from Long Island so we enjoyed the rural settings of the area. We stayed about 2 miles outside town, I think it was a Hampton Inn and plenty of restaurants near the hotel. Have fun!

Old 06-02-2015, 07:35 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,634 Likes on 1,166 Posts

Gotta try the pork chop sandwich at Snappy Lunch on Main St. They're closed on Sundays though.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:55 AM
PeteF
Road Captain
Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Avoid the Dragon on Fri, Sat, and Sun. The Cherohala Skyway is a really nice ride. Gatlinburg is a tourist trap full of traffic.

Quick Reply: Tail of the dragon and the blue ridge parkway