Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail of the dragon and the blue ridge parkway

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 02:48 PM
jrrarr
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nashville to Ashville by way of the Dragon seems a little optimistic unless you take the interstate from Nashville. I took Hwy 70(?) last summer to get from Nashville to the Dragon and the interstate back from Gatlinburg to Nashville. The interstate definitely buys you the time and the state highway is much more pleasant. We used up most of the day getting from Nashville to Fontana Dam resort, with a half hour rain delay and some time in the t-shirt shop in Deals Gap.

Dinner at the Peddler in Gatlinburg was very memorable.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:31 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 566 Likes on 394 Posts

Did the dragon 2 yrs ago with my 2 friends. My one bdyy was on a street glide, b paassenger. He was scraping through he whole ride. Be careful 2 up on a powers red bike and have fun on your trip

Old 04-17-2015, 06:25 PM
NVERL8
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If you go to Gatlinburg and want to make the wife happy, Cherokee grill in Gatlinburg.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:14 PM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrsess
Ditto, That's one awesome road.
You can stay at the Two Wheel Inn. In Robbinsville. JR
+1, awesome road and the two wheel inn is a great place to stay.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:38 PM
Brad4052
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We always stayed in Townsend, Ten. so much more laid back compaired to Gatlinburg.

Old 04-18-2015, 05:00 AM
bufbills
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankCaputo
I ride the Blue Ridge Parkway pretty often...one of my favorite roads. Only drawback is getting behind a camper in the Summer months, but they usually pull into an overlook if they see they're backing up the traffic. I get on in Blowing Rock, NC and ride past Asheville thru all the tunnels, and come home thru the upstate of SC.

You might look into the Green Park Inn at Blowing Rock if you're headed North. Nice looking historic hotel and blowing rock is a nice little town. There's a BBQ joint right on 321 that my friends speak highly of.

Another road you might check out is Highway 28 in the Fontanna area that's called the Moonshiner. Agree with the others on the Cherohala.

Great area...you're gonna love it!
If you end up on the moonshiner, head to highlands and check out bridal veil falls. Stunning ride and probably one of the prettiest places Ive been. The ride up the mountain is just awesome. See sig pic. Dry falls is quite a sight as well. Safe trip!

Old 04-18-2015, 06:54 AM
hdmike
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heading out that way in June. Good info thanks!

Old 04-18-2015, 07:48 AM
HD_Doobie
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

We are also headed there in June. Great Info here! Keep it coming!

Old 04-18-2015, 08:57 AM
roadwarrior1545
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you stop in Gattlinburg There is a Mexican Restaurant by the Ripley's aquarium called No Way Jose's'. They have awesome food and drinks. My wife wants to ride out there again this summer just for the margaritas. When you stumble out of there a half block east is the Doc Collier Moonshine store with free samples!

Old 04-18-2015, 09:49 AM
flashracer
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I always take backroads from Nashville to Blue Ridge and make a trip through Cherohala Skyway on the way then to the Dragon to Gatlinburg. I try to avoid Gatlinburg but your wife would like it. Nashville to Ashville going backroads is going to be a long trip. I always stay in Pigeon Forge the first night. Your GPS may take you through SR30 near Spencer Tn. that goes by Fall Creek Falls State park. Lots of twisties.

Quick Reply: Tail of the dragon and the blue ridge parkway