Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail of the dragon and the blue ridge parkway

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 08:15 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Floyd, Virginia, the Floyd Inn, is a great little place. We stayed a night there while we were doing the Blue Ridge....

Artsy kinda town, with good wine!

Old 04-09-2015, 08:50 PM
jskicet
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default trip

Drop off in Maggie Valley and check out Wheels through time. You won't regret it. your right there. Allow a couple of hours though.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:01 PM
kink04fxd
Tourer
Received 209 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by jskicet
Drop off in Maggie Valley and check out Wheels through time. You won't regret it. your right there. Allow a couple of hours though.

Stayed in Maggie Valley last August after riding the Dragon. Great town. Did the museum and actually talked to Dale and Matt. Do the Dragon during mid-week, it's crazy on weekends.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:12 PM
RoadsterGlide
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

At the Robbinsville, NC end of the Dragon is the Cherohala Scenic Byway between Robbinsville and Tellico Plains, TN...45 miles of great scenery and sweepers.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:13 PM
Prime Rib
Elite HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by jskicet

I went there last week. What a collection Dale Walksler has!!! We were there April 2nd (which was opening day for this year). Lots of great bikes and other stuff to look at. Dale is very personable, and will answer any questions you have. He also "if able" will start any bike you want to hear run while you're there. One of his volunteers there said that Velocity is cancelling the "What's in The Barn" show, even though they have several episodes in the can. We spent 4 hours there and still didn't see everything.

Tail of the dragon and the blue ridge parkway-hgdfsj8.jpg

Tail of the dragon and the blue ridge parkway-90ygipi.jpg

Old 04-17-2015, 07:40 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadsterGlide
At the Robbinsville, NC end of the Dragon is the Cherohala Scenic Byway between Robbinsville and Tellico Plains, TN...45 miles of great scenery and sweepers.

Ditto, That's one awesome road.
You can stay at the Two Wheel Inn. In Robbinsville. JR

Old 04-17-2015, 07:51 AM
Chuck U. Farley
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thumbs up on Gatlinburg. The wife will love it. Be sure to check out Ole Smoky, damn good shine from the government stills. Free samples too

Old 04-17-2015, 09:10 AM
moloprintz
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The best part of the BRP is between SMNP and Craggy Gardens.
+1 for Cherohala Skyway.
If you are around Asheville on Sunday try the buffet at Grove Park Inn.
I live in Knoxville and there isn't enough money on earth to get me to ride into Gatlinburg.

Old 04-17-2015, 12:17 PM
FrankCaputo
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I ride the Blue Ridge Parkway pretty often...one of my favorite roads. Only drawback is getting behind a camper in the Summer months, but they usually pull into an overlook if they see they're backing up the traffic. I get on in Blowing Rock, NC and ride past Asheville thru all the tunnels, and come home thru the upstate of SC.

You might look into the Green Park Inn at Blowing Rock if you're headed North. Nice looking historic hotel and blowing rock is a nice little town. There's a BBQ joint right on 321 that my friends speak highly of.

Another road you might check out is Highway 28 in the Fontanna area that's called the Moonshiner. Agree with the others on the Cherohala.

Great area...you're gonna love it!

Old 04-17-2015, 02:36 PM
theCoach
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Pisgah Inn, 408 Blue Ridge Parkway, in Waynesville, is well worth considering as an overnight stop. Scooter friendly, great food, and first rate accommodations.

Quick Reply: Tail of the dragon and the blue ridge parkway