Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlamp issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 05:41 PM
jamesdeanblvd
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlamp issue

I've got an 07 ultra, and i started it up last night and the headlamp and driving lights were off. Pulled the headlamp fuse and it was blown. Replaced it, turned it on, blew this fuse. Where should I start to look first? Turn signals, brake lights and tour pack lights are fully functional. Only front lighting out.. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:50 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Not to be an ***, but that's why they sell service manuals. I have one out in the shop, I'll check it. My guess is that the headlight is fused separately from the rest, and the wire is pinched or chafed somewhere and is going to ground. Unplug the headlight and see if it still blows the fuse.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:03 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

as above it may be a chafed wire in the fairing...some riders have had broken fairing mounts which chew the wiring.

some remove the left side hand controls and pinch wires in the housing

suggest you open up the fairing and inspect the wiring...but first ( spots switched off) pull the bulb and start testing there.

if the inside of the fuse looks carbon arced, black soot or spattered, that is a short circuit ( wiring).

If the fuse material looks to have simply sagged and parted, that is an overload.
could be bulb, bad light socket ( using extra high watt bulbs?) or wiring

( or the bike is jealous of the remodeling attention the house is getting)

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 04-08-2015 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:03 PM
jamesdeanblvd
Cruiser

I actually have a service manual but I'm in the midst of a major remodeling. So, everything from kitchen, sunroom and living room have been moved into den. So, finding the manual will be impossible for a couple of weeks. I do appreciate you looking though.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:04 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

I looked at the manual. The line diagrams are on more than one page, and I don't think I could successfully translate what I'm reading into a comprehensible text here. I'd suggest you find yours. Sorry, I was hoping to help.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:05 PM
jamesdeanblvd
Cruiser

Thanks again for the advice. I will try that tomorrow.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:11 PM
LS Bob
Road Warrior
Received 202 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
as above it may be a chafed wire in the fairing...some riders have had broken fairing mounts which chew the wiring. some remove the left side hand controls and pinch wires in the housing suggest you open up the fairing and inspect the wiring...but first ( spots switched off) pull the bulb and start testing there. if the inside of the fuse looks carbon arced, black soot or spattered, that is a short circuit ( wiring). If the fuse material looks to have simply sagged and parted, that is an overload. could be bulb, bad light socket ( using extra high watt bulbs?) or wiring ( or the bike is jealous of the remodeling attention the house is getting) mike
I would just like to say I wish mkguitar was closer to KC. I would like to buy you a beer. You provide some of the best tips and responses of anyone on this forum in thread after thread, and it's really helpful. If you ever get up this way, let me know. Thanks, man.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:09 AM
russ33541
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 205 Likes on 203 Posts

You might want to check the wire for the fender tip light that runs inside the front fender, sometimes that gets loose and rubs against the tire and goes to ground then blows out the headlight fuse.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:44 AM
00copglide
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LS Bob
I would just like to say I wish mkguitar was closer to KC. I would like to buy you a beer. You provide some of the best tips and responses of anyone on this forum in thread after thread, and it's really helpful. If you ever get up this way, let me know. Thanks, man.
Plus 1 on that!!! Ever make it to Mass. Ring me up....always great posts!

Old 04-11-2015, 10:00 PM
jamesdeanblvd
Cruiser

Well, I beleive it was a pinched wire in the control housing. I put chrome switches on her this winter. I was wondering if a pinched wire was the culprit there after reading everyone's posts. I took the housing apart, stretched the wires out and it performed perfectly. One more coat of paint on kitchen walls and hopefully I can spoil the bike by installing bars, windshield and tour pack relocation kit. Buddy gave me his stock speakers out of his 13' ultra. Might as well swap those with my used ones. These new ones have zero miles on them. Thanks for everyone's help. I have looked for about 3 hours for manual, but, it hasn't turned up yet. Hope I find it before the panama bike week in a couple of weeks.