Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plasti-Dip - Lets see what you got

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 10:13 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by escalade6103
did you take all the trim pieces off or peal it off them?
It wasn't hard to take off the tail light and fender tip lights. I taped up the rack, fender struts and center console. And all areas like the motor etc to avoid overspary clean up. However, the over spary rubs off chrome really easily.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:17 AM
Eyeball Kid
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
What windshield?

On your bike?

Mine is nearly black, came that way.....
Yes. But I searched a bit, and found many have done this.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:28 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Madcop
06SGWA Did you remove the tank to dip it?? Also how many cans did it take to do the whole bike?? Finally what are you using to clean the bike suck as removing bug splatter? Does it ruin the finish??
Not sure is this is for me, but I left my tank on and taped everything up to avoid over spary.

I used about a dozen cans to do the whole bike in black. You can't have too many coats. Four is the absolute minimum number of coats for me. Much of my stuff had 6+. Not enough coats = difficult time peeling off. Many coats = easy peel! I had ZERO damage to my paint after a three year dipped bike.

The two-tone metallic dip don't ask how many cans. I lost track. A lot! Black/blaze orange/silver metalizer/gold metalizer and glossifier.

Just a word of advice here. Gasoline eats this stuff right up. Just a drop on your tank can leave a permanent mark. You have to be mega careful with gas.

To clean bugs off I just used either a warm towel with just water, or a deluted mixture of Simple Green. The Simple Green works really good, but it does take off your wax, so you need to re-wax after using it. And yes, waxing is a key to keep Dip looking good long term and really helps avoiding scuffing. My AC cover has been dipped 4 years not and still looks great!

Old 01-13-2016, 12:26 PM
Womack
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I've been using Plasti-Dip for awhile now and I can say this stuff is great. The finish even after a year still look like I just sprayed it. So far I have done both rims, horn cover & rear pullie. Thinking about dipping my lower forks next. Here are a few pictures.
Womack

Old 01-13-2016, 01:07 PM
wmprof
Road Master
Received 1,295 Likes on 444 Posts

Been dipping car and bike parts for years. Easy way to change up look without spending ton of $$.

Had to redo my fangs several times due to bugs eating up the dip. In fact they are at powder coater now. Tired of spending time dipping, when I could be riding and my PC guy is real reasonable. Sent my dash to PC too, sprayed gas on it and ruined dip several times.

PUMBA11 - Good tip on wax, never knew you could wax the dip!

Old 01-13-2016, 02:58 PM
Cozz
Grand HDF Member
Received 5,247 Likes on 1,989 Posts
Default Spyder- dipped

I did all of the silver body panels of my Spyder around two or three years ago. It held up really well for what it is. Complete color change for 40 bucks and a few hours of my time. The guy I sold it to loved it.

Attached Thumbnails Plasti-Dip - Lets see what you got-image.jpeg