Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Road King Wire harness help please

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 04:18 PM
kc_exactly
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Road King Wire harness help please

I am trying to figure out what all these wiring harnesses are for. They aren't connected to anything. I put colored boxes around them to help identify them. Does anyone know what they are for or what they are called? There are two under the seat and three under the left side cover. The owners manual doesn't say.

Thanks for all the help! It might help some other people on here too. I want to install a radio. They are actually already on the bike. I just don't know what to connect them too or what part i need from Harley. I am not a fan of cutting wires and splicing. I wanted to know about the other ones to help me down the road.

Top under left side cover

under left side cover

under seat

Old 04-07-2015, 04:53 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

for what you plan on doing, you need a service manual.

the service manual has wiring diagrams which will reveal the purpose and function of each connector.

The road king is a bagger with all the good stuff kept off, so the wiring harness will have power for accessories, radio etc etc which you don;t have.

Mike

Old 04-07-2015, 06:21 PM
kc_exactly
Intermediate

Ya, I know the service manual would tell me. But, I don't have the service manual. I also have no way of getting the service manual this week. That is why I am asking here. I would think someone here would know what they are for. If I had the service manual I would have not asked. Thanks for your wonderful insight.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:31 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 537 Likes on 461 Posts

Blue - Siren Connector (option)
Green - Data link Connector
Yellow - Auxiliary Device Connector
Orange - Purge Valve Solenoid
Red - Security Antenna

Don't hold me to this as I think there may be an error in the manuals as far as the DLC & the Aux Connector.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:43 PM
NECaveman
Tourer

First image blue box; security siren connector (142B). It connects to the security system smart siren II, if installed.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:48 PM
NECaveman
Tourer

14GP is correct with the data link connector and aux device connector. The aux device connector provides electrical power controlled with the ignition switch for on/off/accessory. I have my Garmin wired to this connector.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:52 PM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member
Received 927 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by kc_exactly
Ya, I know the service manual would tell me. But, I don't have the service manual. I also have no way of getting the service manual this week. That is why I am asking here. I would think someone here would know what they are for. If I had the service manual I would have not asked. Thanks for your wonderful insight.
You could order a service manual and have it overnighted. People get bent out of shape when we tell them to buy a service manual. It's probably the most important tool you should have in your tool box. If you want to work on your own bike you need the proper tools. I paid for my service manual, why do you expect the information in it for free?

Old 04-07-2015, 07:03 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

Thanks for your wonderful insight.
worth every penny, I know.

but you'll keep needing this time and again and if you are going to be doing your own stuff you'll need it.

the can bus system means that "what worked" on 2013 and earlier models won't be of help for you and could get you going down the wrong path.

Mike

Old 04-07-2015, 07:18 PM
kc_exactly
Intermediate

Thanks a lot for the help guys. I knew some smart people would be able to help with this. I am going out of town in a few weeks and need to finish putting on some speakers. I was deciding between the Rockies, South Dakota, or Tennessee/N. Carolina. We decided on the Rockies after asking for advice.

And, I don't want to be the guy always seeking help. The fact is I already ordered the wrong part. I asked for a four pin connector. It is not the same on a 2014. The other thing is I worked 197 hours over the last two weeks. I am currently at work and I don't know when I will be home next. If i ordered the service manual I would have to wait until I got home to read it. Then order the part and wait for it too.

I am a firefighter. So, I don't follow the logic of not helping people just because it cost me something. Thanks guys for your help. I am going to order the part and service manual tonight. If anyone has a question from the service manual they can ask me and I will let you know what it says free of charge if I have the time. Thanks again. 14GP and NECaveman, I appreciate the knowledge.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:22 PM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,659 Likes on 581 Posts

His post was accurate and meant to help.

But here is some insight,,,, you aren't capable of wiring radio even with the service manual,,,,,,, which by the way has all the wiring diagrams a capable person would need.

but then you might have suspected that ,,,, if you were capable of wiring a radio.

Here let me put it terms you might be able to follow. The positive terminal on the battery is the one with the + sign and the red cable on it.

Tomorrow we can discuss the other side of an electrical circuit.

Quick Reply: 2014 Road King Wire harness help please