Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slip ons slipping off

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007 | 06:15 PM
Bushy
|
Road Warrior
Default Slip ons slipping off

I have a 05 Ultra, after about a 50 mile ride my slip ons slip off and when it cold it clangs like I am about to throw a piston. I tighten both the clamp and the bolts under the saddle bags but the keep coming loose. I also replaced the clamps at the tume of 27 HD bucks.. Any Ideas, suggestions??
thanks
Bushy

Old 04-23-2007 | 06:27 PM
Ganno57
Tourer
Default RE: Slip ons slipping off

If you are using the stock Torca clamps you can torque them down to 60 ft lbs. That is the maximum on that clamp. Make sure you are only clamping the notched section of the muffler. If you clamp even a little on the solid section of the muffler you will never get those clamps tight enough.

Old 04-23-2007 | 06:59 PM
Unamed
Road Master

yep same as above and those clamps are only good for 2 or 3 takeoffs after that they lose their grip. You would think something called torca would be a torqued down beast...

Old 04-23-2007 | 07:02 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member

Make sure that the rear support mounting on the mufflers (2 bolts on the top of the muffler) are not touching or clamped against the the rail & that your slider moves back & forth.... This allows slight movement of the muffler as the engine torques... Also might have a slight bend in one of the ends of your header pipe this will cause the same condition.... Over tighting the muffler can bend the header pipe...

Old 04-23-2007 | 08:47 PM
choochoo
Banned

I've noticed in recent years that slip ons appear to be a looser fit to begin with
and that the factory clamps just won't clamp tight enough to start with.
They actually bottom out against themselves before pipes are tight.
Course some of this can be in the brand of slip ons.
I forget name of clamp but I think it is T clamp or something like it.
It is a full circle clamp with a single stud for tightening.
Otherwise go with a standard muffler clamp (automotive) and turn the
studs so they face in and up.
I also use a little high temp silicone to help. but be careful not recommended
around O2 sensors

Old 04-23-2007 | 09:10 PM
SpikeCT
Road Captain

go to autoparts store and buy copper silicone gasket maker... use some of that and slip pipes on

Old 04-23-2007 | 10:31 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member

I had the same problems on a new bike with V&H slipons and new clamps. Finally fixed them by tightening when cold, then getting bike to normal operating temp and tightening again. When it cooled to room temp I tightened again. Think I may have done this routine even a second time.

Old 04-23-2007 | 11:07 PM
markdt
Road Captain

Mine did the same, so I took a dremell tool and removed some of the dish shaped spacer material on the bolt side of theclamp. This added a little bit more thread are to the bolt, and allowed it to tighten a bit more.It has never happened again..Mark...

Old 04-23-2007 | 11:11 PM
the_icemAN
Road Master

I kinda had the same experience with my RineHart TDs

Put 'em on and they started to slip so I shoved 'em back in when cold and re-clamped. They slipped a little and now don't move.

I noticed on the instructions to use some of the copper silicone gasket maker which SpikeCT talks about. does that really help hold the pipe?

Old 04-23-2007 | 11:34 PM
hdmikeshirley
Cruiser

I've been having the same problem with my Rush slip ons... I'm pretty sure I read a while back on this forum where a guy drilled a small hole through the muffler and head pipe and stuck a small rivet in it to keep it from moving on him.

Quick Reply: Slip ons slipping off