Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about changing exaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 11:57 AM
jkeeton81
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question about changing exaust

Hey guys,

So I have been talking to a shop about replacing my current exaust on my street glide. I wanted to do a vance and hine setup, including headers and air cleaner. It has always been my understanding that when doing that, some sort of fuel pack is required to be added. This shop told me that is not the case and that it is optional. Is that correct?

Thanks

Jason

Old 04-07-2015, 12:01 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

You are correct. When doing both A/C and exhaust a fuel tuner is needed.

2010 Limited with some stuff

Old 04-07-2015, 12:03 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

Well, as usual, this is a question of semantics.

Do you "have to" add a "fuel pack"? No.

If you do both freer flowing air cleaner AND freer flowing exhaust system, "should you" "retune" the bike? Yes.

If you don't retune the bike, will you get the horsepower and torque increases that you would get if you do retune the bike? No.

Is the cost of the tune, which could include some combination of labor, tuner module, and/or download, and/or dyno time, be worth the additional horsepower and torque increases?

Dunno. Your call.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:04 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 333 Likes on 248 Posts

If you are doing new headers/pipes & Air Cleaner - yes you will need to change the MAP on your bike.
Stock bikes are set to the lean side to get thru emission's, thus when you allow more air in thru an AC, and more exhaust out thru new pipes you get more HP and for that you need to rebalance the air/fuel mixture and put more fuel in.
Fuel Moto - PV2 is the way I went and found it to be a great item.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:14 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,868 Likes on 2,430 Posts

Jason, as already indicated this is not a simple subject! Your shop may provide a download that will adjust your bike so that it keeps its EPA settings, which a dealer can also do. I personally would be unhappy if they don't. A tuning device can also do that, but more importantly it can adjust your fuelling (and in some cases ignition timing as well) to optimise your engine's performance, using good ole fashioned air/fuel ratios instead of the lean mean EPA ones.

In my case I have a mildly modified EFI bike with a basic tuner (Dobeck), which runs fine, but my carb bike is dyno-tuned and runs like a champ.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:35 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,852 Likes on 1,087 Posts

If that is all you ever plan on doing to your bike, a fuel management device would be a wise purchase. That can be accomplished with either a simple dealer download, a set of X-ieds, or a micro- tuner of your choice. If however you plan on doing any engine modifications in the future a fully tunable device of your choice would be the best route to go.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:39 PM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,967 Likes on 836 Posts

If you have the V&H exhaust and intake added, you have a couple of choices if you want to stay with the V&H product line; the FuelPak, which is a piggy-back device to your stock ECM. Or the newer FuelPak3, which will flash your existing ECM with new settings; you also have the ability to auto-tune or change settings as you change equipment to a point. If additional future mods is a possibility, I would probably look at the PV2.

A dyno tune isn't necessary, but if the tuner is worth his salt, he can maximize all your new add-ons to their best potential. If he just installs a canned map, you can do that yourself with an auto-tune on the FP3, or any of the other quality tuners. Good luck.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:43 PM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 417 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeeton81
Hey guys,

So I have been talking to a shop about replacing my current exaust on my street glide. I wanted to do a vance and hine setup, including headers and air cleaner. It has always been my understanding that when doing that, some sort of fuel pack is required to be added. This shop told me that is not the case and that it is optional. Is that correct?

Thanks

Jason
I'd think that your shop should at least give you a little more information on what they mean by 'optional' - as others have said, do you HAVE to do it? No. Should you do it? Probably, if you're already spending the $$ on the other pieces, spend a bit more to get the most benefit out of 'em. But I think the shop should take 5 minutes and at least explain the pros and cons of your choices...

Just my $0.02.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:13 PM
DK Custom - ST
Platinum Sponsor
Received 508 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeeton81
Hey guys,

Thanks

Jason

Hey Jason,

If you are going to be changing the Exhaust and the Air Cleaner then you will need some type of Fuel Management.

Devin and Kevin use the Power Vision and they are 100% satisfied with their's. One of the many good things about the Power Vision is it is delivered to you with a Custom Map, for Your Bike, already installed in it. You can plug it in, load the new tune into your bike, unplug it, and be riding with the New Tune in 5 minutes.

Also, below is a thread on EFI options. Hope this helps you out

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignit...uning-etc.html

Kelsey

Call: 662-252-8828
Text: 662-420-4891
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i339/DKCustom/Links/Sig1-8-14_zps9d8aff35.jpg

Old 04-07-2015, 01:23 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

Find a different shop...

Quick Reply: Question about changing exaust