Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio's and Sound Systems

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 07:00 AM
AlCherry
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Radio's and Sound Systems

I see a lot of sound systems on eBay that says they are plug and play. I'm a little confused about which one is the best system for my bike. Who here has a true plug and play system that has AM/FM, CD, MP3, Bluetooth interface for my IPhone, and uses my thumb controls AND is a good looking unit that fits where the HK is?

Old 04-05-2015, 07:14 AM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,192 Likes on 562 Posts

Take a look in the audio section, tons of info and knowledgeable guys over there. Just like oil and seats, there is no best - it's a matter of what you want and your budget. All of the items you mentioned are readily available in many aftermarket HUs, although the need for keeping FM will limit your amp choices (still a lot of good ones out there, but some will kill FM reception). The plug and play part is dependent on the harness and there are a few really good ones out there - again, check the audio section for details.

I will tell you this, think about what you want, and save your money to get a good system the first time. I did a couple of small upgrades before I got what I really wanted and wish I would have went big the first time. I have a full biketronics system with kenwood HU and have everything you mention above plus XM. The handlebar controls work as stock and the system is loud and clear. Also have a lifetime warranty and made in USA.

Old 04-05-2015, 08:04 AM
AlCherry
Road Warrior

I looked through the radio forum, and came out just as confused as I went in. All of us are good at something, but I don't have the electronics gene. I can take it out, put it in, but choosing the right system is where I need help. I want to get it right the first time. Nothing irritates me more than to do something more than once to get it right. I went to the biketronics site and I'll go from there. BTW, what is the Kenwood HU? I'm looking at the BikeTronics site and can't find it.

Last edited by AlCherry; 04-05-2015 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:44 AM
m.colley
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AlCherry
I looked through the radio forum, and came out just as confused as I went in. All of us are good at something, but I don't have the electronics gene. I can take it out, put it in, but choosing the right system is where I need help. I want to get it right the first time. Nothing irritates me more than to do something more than once to get it right. I went to the biketronics site and I'll go from there. BTW, what is the Kenwood HU? I'm looking at the BikeTronics site and can't find it.

Biketronics is good stuff. Do yourself a favor and make a budget and then look for components in your price range, even if you need to save up $$. Listen to several setups if possible.

The Kenwood HU you asked about is not made by Biketronics. Kenwood is a brand of audio equipment, HU = head unit, or radio for us older than dirt guys.

Martin

Old 04-05-2015, 08:46 AM
hawg50
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

jensen has a plug and play.i just installed one in a road glide that i built.it doesnt have cd capability though.

Old 04-05-2015, 08:54 AM
Pix
Road Master
Received 282 Likes on 147 Posts

Spend time in the audio section and do your research first

Old 04-05-2015, 09:20 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts

True "Plug and play" really limits your choices. No decent amp is plug and play, they at least require new dedicated power wires. Biketronics is good stuff but ya don't have to stick with Sony. Decide what features ya want/need and how "big" ya want to go, then ask over in the audio section.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:20 AM
AlCherry
Road Warrior

HU=HeadUnit. Should have known that. Duh. Worse case looks in the $500 range, and that's what I have to spend on it. I really don't care about the cost, as long as it is right the first time. Radios and accessories can get insane just like anything else. Rain has screwed up my dirt roads so it looks like a good day for research.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:26 AM
harleynut07
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just installed a kenwood head unit and speakers into my 07 electraglide yesterday it was pretty much plug and play and what wasnt was explained well in the instructions suprisingly still uses factory controls on bars sounds great looks great the headunit is am/fm cd bluetooth setup for pandora and iheart radio and take calls i got marine grade headunit n speakers and a in faring antenna cost about 350 on ebay and installed in 1.5 hours with a buddy wasnt a full kit but easy to put it all 2gether on ebay

Old 04-05-2015, 12:04 PM
AlCherry
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by harleynut07
Just installed a kenwood head unit and speakers into my 07 electraglide yesterday it was pretty much plug and play and what wasnt was explained well in the instructions suprisingly still uses factory controls on bars sounds great looks great the headunit is am/fm cd bluetooth setup for pandora and iheart radio and take calls i got marine grade headunit n speakers and a in faring antenna cost about 350 on ebay and installed in 1.5 hours with a buddy wasnt a full kit but easy to put it all 2gether on ebay
Did you have to cut any factory wiring?

Quick Reply: Radio's and Sound Systems