Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Washed the Roadglide, now no radio

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 02:54 PM
steveh326
Road Warrior
Received 143 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Washed the Roadglide, now no radio

So I washed the Road Glide (2006 with the HK radio)friday night. Radio display has been blank ever since. Yesterday I was able to play a CD even tho the display was blank. Today I get no sound from the radio at all, but the CD will still load and eject, just no display and no sound.

I did NOT spray water directly from the hose on the radio, but I am sure some overspray did get on it from rinsing the rest of the dash area. If it doesn't heal itself sitting out in the sun today at work, gonna have to make an appointment with the dealer...Have washed the bike numerous times, this is the 2nd time it caused issue with the radio, 1st time lasted 24 hours, but this has been 72hours at least and still not working.

If I end up taking this in for radio issue, is the dealer gonna be givin me crap about the water around the dash area? Can't imagine a radio on a motorcycle that doesn't seem to be sealed to the elements.

Old 04-23-2007, 02:59 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Washed the Roadglide, now no radio

These are tourers and are subject to foul weather including heavy rain that will inevitably soak a radio good. I've ridden in rain that would make a steady stream from a water hose look like a small leak.

If your dealer gives you grief, find another one and give that one a piece of your mind.

You can take the fairing off and check all connections just for your own knowing, but I personally would not accept blame from a dealer if that is what their intentions are.

Old 04-23-2007, 03:32 PM
chiabate
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The symptoms indicate a leak at the front portion of your radio. Ultra's take is right, the radio is designed to withstand exposure to the elements. You have a defective unit, that's what the warranty is intended for. You're not at fault.

Old 04-23-2007, 03:39 PM
badlandr
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey don't tell them you washed it just say you rode in the rain or nothing at all.
It's none of there business how it got wet.

Old 04-23-2007, 03:47 PM
lschultz
Road Master

Thats right its there job to fix it. I don't think these HK radios are as good as they make them out to be.

Old 04-23-2007, 03:50 PM
dfirecpt
Cruiser

It won't bake out or come back. Mine did the same thing last October. Told the dealer what happened and they replaced the radio under warranty. At that time there was an eight week back order.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-23-2007, 05:02 PM
hdjoe88
Road Captain

My screen went blank after a wash. Replaced by dealer under warranty. HKs are POS.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:46 PM
wldbill
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I didn't have to wash mine to lose the display on my 06 EGC, just turned it on one day and it was blank. Everything worked but it's a bitch to figure out whats what without the display isn't it[&:] Took it back to the dealer and got a new radio.