Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to shut down radio and use navigation

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 09:25 AM
Beancount1
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to shut down radio and use navigation

Just purchased a road glide special with the 6.5 boom box radio/nav. I know I can shut down the entire system by pressing the on/off/mute button for 3 seconds. But when I press the nav button, the radio comes back to life. My question is this: Is there any way to have the radio off while the nav is on? So instead of showing a station it shows displays the time. I read the manual and it doesn't address this. I'm sure it's something simple, but I don't see it. I think I need a course on the radio/nav. Thanks.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:41 AM
penmaker
Road Master
Received 449 Likes on 226 Posts

Nope.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:24 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 515 Likes on 317 Posts

You can set either the left or right data field to display the time when using the Nav map.

Old 04-03-2015, 01:27 PM
Beancount1
Tourer

Originally Posted by RollaMo
You can set either the left or right data field to display the time when using the Nav map.
Yeah, I'm aware of that, but I've been spoiled by having an external garmin gps that displays about 6 items of information (speed, speed limit) time, elevation, number of miles before turn, miles to destination, etc.) all simultaneously. I've only had the bike about a week, but I have to say I'm disappointed with the limited info. You would think for $1800 (if sold separately) it would be a little more versatile. But I'll probably get used to it at some point.

Thanks.

Old 04-03-2015, 01:47 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 515 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Beancount1
Yeah, I'm aware of that, but I've been spoiled by having an external garmin gps that displays about 6 items of information (speed, speed limit) time, elevation, number of miles before turn, miles to destination, etc.) all simultaneously. I've only had the bike about a week, but I have to say I'm disappointed with the limited info. You would think for $1800 (if sold separately) it would be a little more versatile. But I'll probably get used to it at some point.

Thanks.
To be fair, there is no way anyone can design a system that makes everyone happy.

I have only used my new Limited's Nav system a few times now, and IMO it is hands down a better system than my stand alone Garmin 1450 I used on the old bike.

All of those things you mentioned can be displayed on the new Nav screen, just not all at the same time.
The more stuff you want to display, the more crowded the screen becomes and makes it harder to actually navigate.

I was a little confused in the layout at first, but now I like it better.
Just experiment with different data fields being displayed and you might feel better about it.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:20 AM
Beancount1
Tourer

Originally Posted by RollaMo
To be fair, there is no way anyone can design a system that makes everyone happy.

I have only used my new Limited's Nav system a few times now, and IMO it is hands down a better system than my stand alone Garmin 1450 I used on the old bike.

All of those things you mentioned can be displayed on the new Nav screen, just not all at the same time.
The more stuff you want to display, the more crowded the screen becomes and makes it harder to actually navigate.

I was a little confused in the layout at first, but now I like it better.
Just experiment with different data fields being displayed and you might feel better about it.
I agree that I'll eventually get used to it. It's still chilly around here and roads are full of potholes and sandy right now, so it'll be a few weeks before I can really begin to get used to it. I have a related question. If there's no way to shut the radio other than turning the volume down to zero, how will I hear the turn directions from the nav if the volume is completely turned down so I don't have to listen to the radio? Again, it's probably something simple that I'm missing.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:34 AM
mchertel
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I haven't actually tried this but just thinking out loud here. If you don't want any output other than the NAV then could you connect the bluetooth to your smartphone (prerequisite of course) and just keep the volume completely down on the phone? That way the sound can be turned up on the Boom for the NAV but not the music. Will try this later today when I hop on the bike.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:21 AM
Rustrtal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Just turn the radio volume to zero, problem solved.

Old 04-04-2015, 11:03 AM
dnespolo
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree that I'll eventually get used to it. It's still chilly around here and roads are full of potholes and sandy right now, so it'll be a few weeks before I can really begin to get used to it. I have a related question. If there's no way to shut the radio other than turning the volume down to zero, how will I hear the turn directions from the nav if the volume is completely turned down so I don't have to listen to the radio? Again, it's probably something simple that I'm missing.
When the radio volume is all the way down you still hear the nav directions, it is separated, shutting down the radio volume won't shut down the nav direction volume. You can adjust the nav volume while it is giving you the directions with the same **** on your handle bar for the radio volume.

Old 04-04-2015, 05:05 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 580 Likes on 419 Posts

The volume control for the Nav instructions is different than the volume control for the music sources and is different than the volume control for the CB and is different than the volume control for the intercom. All use the same up/down control buttons, but those buttons only change the volume of the currently active output. Time to read some of the manual & play with the radio to figure out how it works. Better to do this in the garage than out on the road.

Quick Reply: How to shut down radio and use navigation