Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to shut down radio and use navigation

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 05:07 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 580 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by mchertel
I haven't actually tried this but just thinking out loud here. If you don't want any output other than the NAV then could you connect the bluetooth to your smartphone (prerequisite of course) and just keep the volume completely down on the phone? That way the sound can be turned up on the Boom for the NAV but not the music. Will try this later today when I hop on the bike.
Now that's a novel approach to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

Old 04-04-2015, 05:24 PM
nuttbaggerr
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

On a somewhat related note, why does my screen default to WB when I press ACCEPT after it spools up? I have no real use for WB at this time. Is there a way for it to default to NAVIGATION, AM/FM radio, or MEDIA (that's reading the playlist off my iPOD?)

Old 04-04-2015, 07:01 PM
mchertel
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammz
Now that's a novel approach to solve a problem that doesn't exist.
Good one, I thought the original post or one of the replies suggested that the volume control being all the way down also effected the volume on the NAV, which it does not as I see now. Have only had the bike for three days.....was just trying to think outside the box. Oh well, I'll just shut up and ride now!!

Old 04-04-2015, 09:32 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by nuttbaggerr
On a somewhat related note, why does my screen default to WB when I press ACCEPT after it spools up? I have no real use for WB at this time. Is there a way for it to default to NAVIGATION, AM/FM radio, or MEDIA (that's reading the playlist off my iPOD?)
Look at your settings for Global Presets & Classic Mode. Don't have my bike here to check my settings, but I think your issue is related to which way these are set/selected. A little trial/error on your part & you'll be able to figure out which settings work best for you.

Good luck.

Old 04-04-2015, 09:39 PM
Cjacks
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, that's the way the Nav works in our Chevy. You have to turn the volume down. If it's completely like the Chevy you should be able to adjust the Nav volume separately and will be able to hear the directions. It is ridiculous to pay that much for factory Nav and not be able to use it independent of the radio. A real cheap move.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:57 PM
CousinKAP
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

put the radio to headset.. this works assuming you arent using a headset. THats what I did on a long trip ...going through different states i was getting static through the radio but needed the directions

Old 04-05-2015, 11:23 AM
Beancount1
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The volume control for the Nav instructions is different than the volume control for the music sources and is different than the volume control for the CB and is different than the volume control for the intercom. All use the same up/down control buttons, but those buttons only change the volume of the currently active output. Time to read some of the manual & play with the radio to figure out how it works. Better to do this in the garage than out on the road.
Actually I did read the manual, or at least tried comprehending all 200+ pages of it, but I missed the part about separate volume controls. So I'll keep the radio volume down to zero, and try to adjust the volume on the nav while it's quickly telling me to turn left. Seems like there should be a better way, other than being stuck with the radio on all the time, even at zero volume, when all you want is the nav.

Old 04-05-2015, 11:37 AM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Beancount1
Actually I did read the manual, or at least tried comprehending all 200+ pages of it, but I missed the part about separate volume controls. So I'll keep the radio volume down to zero, and try to adjust the volume on the nav while it's quickly telling me to turn left. Seems like there should be a better way, other than being stuck with the radio on all the time, even at zero volume, when all you want is the nav.
You can always turn the unit off & add an external GPS if an all in one multifunction system really bothers you that much.

Old 04-05-2015, 03:44 PM
Beancount1
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can always turn the unit off & add an external GPS if an all in one multifunction system really bothers you that much.
I could, but I shouldn't have to. I just expected a more user friendly technology from such an expensive unit, especially since Harley's been selling the external Garmin Zumo 665 which is an excellent unit. I've only ridden the bike from the dealership to home and fooled with it in the garage at this point. I'm sure I'll come to like it after using it for a while.

Old 04-05-2015, 05:20 PM
Ganooch
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I set the time to show on the bottom left of the nav screen. I always have the map up, even when I am not navigating. As for no volume, I can't comprehend a ride without music. Maybe some people just like the sound of the road more than I do.