Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just used Plasti Dip on my wheels and rotors

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 09:26 AM
SoCal Harley
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Just used Plasti Dip on my wheels and rotors

I just used Flat Black Plasti Dip on my wheels and rotors. Came out pretty nice. Not sure how long it will hold up. Only used 2 cans that cost $10 total.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:34 AM
Duc
Road Captain
Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks good.
Did you remove wheels or do it on bike and what did you do for prep?
Clif

Last edited by Duc; 04-08-2015 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:39 AM
SoCal Harley
Tourer

Duc,
I didnt remove the wheels. Just put in on my lift and got the front tire off the ground enough to spin it. I did what the can said for prep. Clean with soap and water and wipe down with alcohol. Dried it real good. Used blue painters tape on everything i didnt want painted and did it. Pretty easy, just have to wait about a half hour for each coat to dry.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:57 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Looks really good! Excellent job!

However, as an experienced dipper I would recommend that at least four or five coats of dip be applied (you really can't not have too much). I say this as I don't know how many you have. The reason for this is that a thick coating of dip removes very easily when it is time to take it off. One or two coats of dip will be a nightmare to remove. I know. You can easily add more coats to your existing dip when you are able to. Even old dip can be recoated if needed. Also if you have over spray or trouble taking it of, Xylene is the solvent you need.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:04 AM
MadIrish
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Huh, you just gave me an idea...I think just doing the rotors will look cool.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:07 AM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I did the wheels on my Dyna and had them for about 4 years till I traded it. It's held up fine. I saw the bike a few months ago at a local gathering and it's still on there.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:20 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member

Let us know how the rotors work, it does look cool. I know that Plasti Dip can withstand up to about 312 degrees from what I understand. No idea how hot a rotor gets. Just hot.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:36 AM
SoCal Harley
Tourer

Pumba.
Thanks a lot. I did 4 coats. So I hope it holds up. I'll keep everyone updated on the rotors too

Old 04-02-2015, 10:40 AM
thephatboy2003
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal Harley
I just used Flat Black Plasti Dip on my wheels and rotors. Came out pretty nice. Not sure how long it will hold up. Only used 2 cans that cost $10 total.
Wow, Looks great. Great product to keep in mind for the future. Wonder how that would work on the Tins. Especially if it comes off easy. I have a '59 Apache pick up, Flat black with some Red Highlights and some chrome. This could be a cool way of changing the Anniversary Colors of the Fatty without Changing the Colors, so to speak, and match the scheme of the Apache. Anyone have experience with taking it off? Would it come off to where the original Paint would not be affected ?

Old 04-02-2015, 10:42 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member

You are welcome.

Couple of other tips for long term care. A deluted Simple Green solution works very good to clean them. Keep them waxed (they will still look matte). I prefer Turtle Wax Ice, but other liquid waxes will work. But wait a while before waxing to allow it to fully cure. Two + weeks will work. If you did adequate prep prior to dip and you maintain them is should last for years.

Quick Reply: Just used Plasti Dip on my wheels and rotors