Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire pressure

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 02:17 PM
prostar
Club Member
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Why is the manuals information more correct than what is on the sidewall of the tire? I have used the information on the tire in the past. The pressure on the tires is always higher than the manual.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:22 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by prostar
Why is the manuals information more correct than what is on the sidewall of the tire? I have used the information on the tire in the past. The pressure on the tires is always higher than the manual.

I hope you are joking, but if not here's the deal. The tire can be put on different bikes, that's why the sidewall has the MAX PSI printed on it. Each motorcycle manufacturer will have it's own specs for the tire size and weight of the bike. Same goes for car tires. That's why the recommended PSI for a car is on a sticker on the drivers door or jamb. Every tire manufacturer will tell you to go by the vehicle manufacturers recommendations.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:47 PM
caberto
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

The manual lists the recommended psi for that bike with the stock tire that was put on at the factory. If you have replaced your tires with another brand, that manual recommendation is no longer valid for that new tire. Same with car stickers. Therefore, I always go by the tire markings.

I run my bike tires at max or just below (1-2 lbs) max, and have found to get the best longevity and handling that way. I run MII's on the Road King, and stock Dunlops (which I also run at near max) until they wear out on the RGS.

I'd rather run more psi (but never more than max on sidewall) than low, as running too low can cause your tires to heat up - which is a leading cause of tire failure, plus handling can become sloppy - and dangerous - with too little.

Last edited by caberto; 04-01-2015 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:19 PM
Rat Trap
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

38 front and 42 rear.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:52 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by caberto
The manual lists the recommended psi for that bike with the stock tire that was put on at the factory. If you have replaced your tires with another brand, that manual recommendation is no longer valid for that new tire. Same with car stickers.
Completely not true

Old 04-02-2015, 01:15 AM
caberto
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by KCFLHRC
Completely not true

Umm... well OK, if you say so...

Last edited by caberto; 04-02-2015 at 01:27 AM.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:39 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,863 Likes on 2,428 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by KCFLHRC
Completely not true
Wrong!

When changing to aftermarket tyres ALWAYS check the manufacturer's website. Some brands, like Avon, use different pressures to those in the owners manual.

Old 04-02-2015, 03:43 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,863 Likes on 2,428 Posts
Exclamation

Also wrong! Read the words on the tyre sidewall! They are misleading and only apply to the USA, to meet some regulation. The rest of the World can and should ignore them completely! All they tell us is that at the stated pressure the maximum load is a given weight.

As in my post above check the tyre brand's website if using non-stock tyres.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:10 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

[QUOTE=KCFLHRC;13872308]I hope you are joking, but if not here's the deal. The tire can be put on different bikes, that's why the sidewall has the MAX PSI printed on it. Each motorcycle manufacturer will have it's own specs for the tire size and weight of the bike. Same goes for car tires. That's why the recommended PSI for a car is on a sticker on the drivers door or jamb. Every tire manufacturer will tell you to go by the vehicle manufacturers recommendations.[/QUOT

Absolutely! Enough said! JR

Old 04-02-2015, 09:54 AM
FloridaHarleyRider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out the max pressure on your 4 wheel vehicle tire, then look at the manual or sticker in the door jamb. Probably a 10 lb difference on most. Always go with vehicle recommendations, NOT max tire pressure.

Quick Reply: Tire pressure