Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is exhaust condensation a problem ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 07:58 AM
472viper
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Is exhaust condensation a problem ?

Had the bike idling while I put my gear on. Got a phone call just before mounting up so the bike ran for a little longer than normal. After the phone call I notice a puddle of water about the size of a half dollar at the are of the crossover pipe where it meets the left muffler. Does this indicate an exhaust leak (I sure don't hear one) or is this just normal place for condensation to puddle ?

Old 04-01-2015, 10:20 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

If water can get out so can exhaust...

Old 04-01-2015, 10:55 AM
utrvp
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 472viper
Had the bike idling while I put my gear on. Got a phone call just before mounting up so the bike ran for a little longer than normal. After the phone call I notice a puddle of water about the size of a half dollar at the are of the crossover pipe where it meets the left muffler. Does this indicate an exhaust leak (I sure don't hear one) or is this just normal place for condensation to puddle ?
Only if it is left in the pipe where it can cause it to rust from the inside out. This usually happens in the winter you start a bike to charge up the battery and let it run 15 minutes or so and then shut it off. There is no need to do this. In the winter I only start the bike if I intend to ride for 30 minutes or more. I keep it on a Battery Tender when not riding. If you use a Battery Tender there is no good reason to start a bike in winter until you are ready to go for a ride. Condensation is normal and happens in all vehicles that use an internal combustion engine. It is harmless as long as you run it long enough to burn it away however idling for 10-20 minutes in a cold garage is not enough, you have to ride it.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:39 AM
journeyman
Road Master
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

It's totally normal for a cold engine, when the bike heats up you won't notice it because it's steam.

Chemistry 101 tells you that unburned oxygen and hydrogen are attached to each other and make H2o.

The only problem would be, running it for many short durations and not letting the moisture burn off.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:51 PM
the warden
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Condensation from the exhaust is normal. However, when it is coming from the cross over, that is not normal. As already said, if it leaks water then it also leaks exhaust. You need to find the leak and fix it. Likely from the crossover gasket. Did you have the cross over pipe off at some point.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:09 PM
OLD 96
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,385 Likes on 959 Posts

I truly do sympathy with you. If this is the largest problem in you life. And you need to post it on the internet. All I can say to help you is. Do not let is idle for so long. Or. Shitcan the cell and just phucking ride. Hopes this helps. Ride like every one is trying to kill you.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:31 PM
472viper
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by the warden
Condensation from the exhaust is normal. However, when it is coming from the cross over, that is not normal. As already said, if it leaks water then it also leaks exhaust. You need to find the leak and fix it. Likely from the crossover gasket. Did you have the cross over pipe off at some point.

Yes I did, I installed fuelmoto head pipe and Monster Ovals then had it dyno tuned. Bike runs and sounds good, no pops or backfire. Thanks, did not know if condensation at that part of the exhaust was normal or do I have a problem.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:41 PM
472viper
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by OLD 96
I truly do sympathy with you. If this is the largest problem in you life. And you need to post it on the internet. All I can say to help you is. Do not let is idle for so long. Or. Shitcan the cell and just phucking ride. Hopes this helps. Ride like every one is trying to kill you.

Thank you. Your wisdom and insight have certainly been most helpful. It's so comforting to know there are wonderful people like you on this site that have nothing better to do than to share their wisdom. This very well may be the largest problem in my life. I'm retired, living very comfortably, and just paid cash for a brand new Ultra Classic. I'm going to take your advice and shitcan the cell, might I suggest you step away from the keyboard and "just phucking ride"?

Old 04-02-2015, 03:49 PM
OLD 96
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,385 Likes on 959 Posts

Thank you. Your wisdom and insight have certainly been most helpful. It's so comforting to know there are wonderful people like you on this site that have nothing better to do than to share their wisdom. This very well may be the largest problem in my life. I'm retired, living very comfortably, and just paid cash for a brand new Ultra Classic. I'm going to take your advice and shitcan the cell, might I suggest you step away from the keyboard and "just phucking ride"?
Sorry. Going though a very tough time. Lost my grand daughter. Did not mean to take it out on you. Take care.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:18 PM
RG Pilot
Road Warrior
Received 301 Likes on 217 Posts

Wow...

Anyway, moisture is normal and caused by the warmer than outside air temp inside the pipes after you shut down. When the air cools inside those pipes, the colder air can't hold as much moisture as the warmer air so it condensates and puddles inside the pipes. I too had a moisture leak at the crossover when the dealer installed my pipes so I took them off and reinstalled properly. I could never feel an exhaust leak there but there had to be one although I think it may seal itself when up to temperature.

Quick Reply: Is exhaust condensation a problem ?