Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riddle me this Oh wise Bagger Bums...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007 | 01:36 AM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Default RE: Riddle me this Oh wise Bagger Bums...

Let us know what turns up please. Always curious about gremlins. In the old days every wire on our bikes was pretty much traceable and we could isolate one thing at a time to find problems. Now, the wire looms and internal splicing and such are just nuts to figure out, but voltmeters and continuity checkers can help. Good luck!!
ORIGINAL: PaOutlaw

ORIGINAL: Big Sled

Check all the ground connections.Someone already mentioned moisture. Or, a gauge may be defective & fried in a shorting position internally which would take some meter testing to isolate.

The dealer may have to track the gremlin down for you.
I haven't had a single gauge problem Sled. Other then the fuel gauge fogging(pretty much the norm)I'm trying a couple different things. Like having all the accessory switches(OFF) when starting. We'll see if it continues. Thanks for the suggestion.

Outlaw

Old 05-08-2007 | 04:31 PM
PaOutlaw
|
Road Warrior

Bump

Having spent the past weekend and 2 boxes of 15 amp fuses trying to decypher why the scooter is poppong this fuse, I've 2 things to add to the equation.

#1) The fuses are popping during slow(5-8mph)righthand turns.
#2) This suggests that it's either near the neck and when turning at slow speed the wire is shorting out "OR" it is under the seat and when my weight shifts.....I'm pinching a wire with muh ***

Suggestions upon where to look??

P.S.
Don't think it's a relay.......but, I could be wrong[&o]

Old 05-08-2007 | 04:45 PM
bay13
Outstanding HDF Member

What is the actual fuse called? I have the schematic book, would like to look around.

Woops, I lied, I just noticed you have a 1999, my manual is 2006.

Old 05-08-2007 | 05:01 PM
Timex
Tourer

Pull the outer fairing. 7 screws. Turn the handlebars full left and then full right. This works great if you have a mirror or better yet, someone to turn for you. Check the wiring to all gauges. Look for rubbing wires and/or a loose connection somewhere. Check the Cig. Lighter also. Easy to run another ground wire if you think it is a grounding issue.

Old 05-08-2007 | 10:43 PM
Tech2
Tourer

My buddy was popping his headlight fuse on his RK. I pulled the fuse that was blowing and attached a ohm-meter from the fuse socket to ground. I had him turn his handlebars left-right while I watched the meter and, sure enough, when he turned one direction the meter would go to 0-ohms. I figured that the short was in the steering head area and started to gently push on the harnesses behind the headlamp trying to get the meter to zero. Bingo - there was a spot on the harness that had rubbed through to bare wire right in front of the steering head that was shorting out.

Try moving some harnesses around to try and duplicate the failure. It's best to do it with a meter, saves on fuses.

Old 05-09-2007 | 12:31 PM
PaOutlaw
|
Road Warrior

Thanks guys,
I'll be tugging the seat and outter fairing off this weekend. Time to dig into this a bit deeper. It's more annoying then anything but, it could develope into something worse

Old 05-09-2007 | 03:39 PM
vegashd
Banned

I am 100% certain is pinched wires under your right handlebar control. I had this happen as well as my bro in law. His bike is 100% stock and mine was at the time. The first time I took mine off every wire was pinched and down to bare metal.

Old 05-09-2007 | 07:55 PM
PaOutlaw
|
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: vegashd

I am 100% certain is pinched wires under your right handlebar control. I had this happen as well as my bro in law. His bike is 100% stock and mine was at the time. The first time I took mine off every wire was pinched and down to bare metal.

And this was shorting out the dash "ONLY" vegashd?

Old 05-09-2007 | 08:22 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member

I agree with the testing with an ohm meter, remove the fuse, have someone work the meter or the steering, and also move the harness around at the head. It could be a ground, but the way you describe it, I doubt it. Something has rubbed through somewhere.

Many years ago before all of thefancy electronics, we would have tried to "burn" the short out, meaning, replace the fuse with a piece of metal, and look for the smoke when the wire heated up. Yeah, you might have to replace an extra wire or two, but you could find the cuplprit sometimes rather easily. Not a good idea now with all the sophisticated electronis.

Old 05-09-2007 | 10:40 PM
PaOutlaw
|
Road Warrior

Still going with the idea it's around the steering head or under the seat for now. Nothing but, the dash is effected.

Quick Reply: Riddle me this Oh wise Bagger Bums...