Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Socalmotogear Xtreme LED Passing Lamps mini review

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 09:01 PM
blueglide88
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Socalmotogear Xtreme LED Passing Lamps mini review

So I figured it was time to start upgrading my lighting on my 2011 FLHP. For now I'm leaving the Osram 75w/60 headlight bulb in place because I use a headlight modulator, but certainly the spotlights could use an upgrade. Not wanting to spend big bucks on the Harley Daymakers, I opted for Socalmotogear's Xtreme LED Passing Lamps rated at 1900 lumens. from the website it looks like they can be seen from an angle much better than other LED lights I've seen, and they are only $149 to boot.

You can see what comes in the box on the website. My only suggestion for installation is to wire tie the leads, it seems to make installation easier because there is a lot of wire that comes with the light.

Here is how the LED looks in the housing. Not nearly as good looking as the HD unit of other aftermarket lights, but it's results I'm after not looks.

Here are the original halogens

Here are the LED's....it should be noted in both these pics the bike is on the sidestand, and the lights are pointed downward to the left, just like it would be parked.

view from the side of the bike...the lights in the garage are on and the door is open, it's daytime....they look very bright from the side...you'll be noticed

looking directly on

These pictures really don't give you an idea of how bright these lights are. Even though the picture head on shows glare from the halogen headlight, in real life the headlamp now looks old, dull, and yellow compared the the Xtreme Passing Lamps. I have not ridden the bike on the street yet so I cannot say what kind of light these throw down the road. My main objective is to be seen, and I think they are a winner. I hope this will be of some help to somebody trying to decide on passing lamps.

Last edited by blueglide88; 03-31-2015 at 09:04 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:42 PM
blueglide88
Tourer
Default Night road test

Took the new Xtreme Passing Lamps for a night time road test tonight. These are some bright *** passing lights. I got flashed once, and I feel bad for people whom I pull up behind at red lights. The entire inside of their cars is illuminated. Road signs light up like skyrockets at a great distance. I'm going to try and aim them differently, and I think I have some visors somewhere. However, these lights don't have much focus, they just spread light all over so I don't think the visors or re-aiming them is going to do much to relieve glare for oncoming traffic.

They do fill in every nook and cranny directly in front of your bike. Deer on the side of the road? You'll see it. Raccoon ready to run across the road? No problem. I'm guessing the HD lights focus light better, but I doubt you can get anything brighter as far as passing lamps go. I took some pictures and will try and post them later this weekend. For the price they can't be beat. I'm probably going to put them on my old 1988 FLHS also.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:21 PM
blueglide88
Tourer
Default spotlight pictures at night

Ok so here is my low beam at night

Here is my high beam at night

Here is my low beam with the Socal Xtreme Passing Lamps

The Xtreme Passing Lamps light up the entire area before me with a very white, bright light. They reach almost as far as my high beam alone, but with a much better width, and no dark spot in between. Keep in mind this is with an H$ Osram 70/65W bulb and I have yet to wire the spots to come on with the high beam.

Last edited by blueglide88; 04-07-2015 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:32 PM
Wilsons_mail
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been riding for a few years now- doing my first headlight/bulbs mod. Are these the best out there currently? I've read so many mixed reviews.

Bulbs- sylvania silver light ultra are great but don't last- and they're like $50?
Lights- the hd rejectors, phase 7 truck lites, now these suckers .. What am I missing I do a lot of night riding and my 2009 ultra classic Electra glides lights suck and are pretty dangerous considering I live in a national park and they're deer always running across the roads near the house. I'm willing to go up to $400.. But replacing the bulbs seems like $100.. What's the benefits. Before and after. Can someone help me- I'm not too technology effecient and don't really know how these forums work. I searched my questions but got more confused- sorry, but I need help guys

Old 04-08-2015, 01:26 AM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 569 Likes on 396 Posts

Try a Jw speaker 8700 evo 2 Headlight (There is another thread on it) and a pair of 896 bulbs in the spots.......

Old 04-08-2015, 01:33 PM
nuljas23
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I did a considerable amount of reading and research and came to the conclusion that Zee's customs headlight/passing lamp combo is the best thing out there. There's a pretty good YouTube video of it compared to the Harley daymaker. Lead times are around a month tho for the black version so hopefully ill see them in a couple weeks. I'll do a write up with pictures once I get them and put em on.

Old 04-03-2016, 07:48 PM
blueglide88
Tourer
Default 1 yr later

I just got back from a short ride and noticed on one of my passing lamps 3 out of the 6 LED's were not working. Warranty is 1 yr and the 1 yr mark passed a few weeks ago...ugh.
I sent an email to SoCal and let's see what they say.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:41 PM
blueglide88
Tourer
Default new spotlight

I emailed Socal a copy of the email confirmation and order number. He asked me to send a picture of the faulty light and they would send out a new one for me. All I need to do is pay $10 shipping.

So bottom line is even though the warranty ended a few weeks ago (March 24th) they are going to honor it and send me a replacement. Kudo's to Socalmotogear and I will keep everybody posted if I have any issues in the future. Socal told me that is not normal and if they were having problems with them they would not be selling them.

I can tell you I have them on two bikes and probably about 15k miles of use. This has been the first and hopefully the only issue and they are taking care of me. I still say you WILL NOT find anything brighter. I still like them.