Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best method to cut down a windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 01:26 AM
harris48cars
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best method to cut down a windshield?

I loosened the, windshield to center metal bar mount and put a piece of twine in the center and tightened it down. The i wrapped the twine around a marking pencil. Placed the pencil at the height I wanted the shield and made a few upside down pendulum swings marking the area to be removed. Took the dremel tool out and cut the pencil mark and sanded the cut smooth.
Gary

Old 09-17-2005, 02:37 AM
Chaplain Wayne
Advanced

I purchased a low profile, and I sure like it! I have it on my bike here in Hawaii. A little noisier with the wind, but I am SO glad I got a lower one. So whichever way, the lower is better. I didn't notice that much difference in wind resistance either. I know it doesn't help with the Question, but I thought I'd encourage you with the Answer!

Chaplain Wayne

Old 09-17-2005, 10:07 PM
KenM
Road Master

Thanks all - One way or the other it shouldn't be too tough.

Old 10-04-2005, 06:49 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I am 5'8 and the stock windsheild on my 06 EG Classic was 12". I was looking right thru the top edge. Felt like I was looking thru bi-focals,(which I wear, old age 'n all). I grease penciled the different wind sheild heights that were available in the HD catalogue onto my windsheild and then rode with it like that for a few days to get a perspective. I removed the WS and taped the entire front side with masking tape and with tape side down cut it on a band saw (after marking a curvature line to cut along) then blended the cut edge on a belt sander and then touched it up with finer paper as suggested in the other posts. I settled on a 9'" height and it is perfect. Clear view over the WS and no wind buffeting. Funny though, I had gone to the stealer earlier and asked the parts mgr if he had a taller one so that I would be well behind the WS and he did have one, a 15". We went outside and he held it in place while I sat on the bike and got a feel for it. Great!!! I was all set to buy it the next weekend at a discount day the stealer was having. No sense paying any more than I had to. Then the mgr gave me a HD catalogue to take home. Imagine my surprise when I started looking thru it and came across a section on how to select the right WS for you. The bottom line was that your line of sight is to be over the WS not thru it. Now this guy who is constantly thumbing thru this catalogue should have known that and pointed that fact out to me instead of letting me decide on a larger WS instead of the proper one for me. Thats when I decided to cut mine down by 3" and saved myself $125. If I ruined it, I was already prepared to buy a new one. Better in my pocket than theirs.

Jim

[IMG]local://upfiles/4575/83EFA1A74B1945299992427ABF257851.gif[/IMG]

Old 10-04-2005, 11:19 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

I have had my FLHTCI now for almost two years... being 5'6" - the stock wind shield was just too tall - I was not sure what I wanted and the prices I was finding were not cheap - I do not mind spending $$$ if the product works... You know the $$ we waste at times trying to find something.. Anyway, I found this guy in Reno - his shields are very resonable and they are Strong and his customer service is also 110% - anyway, give him a call, he will work with you and at his prices, I have several sizes...

I am not connected to this guy except that I am a happy customer....

http://www.fastaire.com/