Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

These young kids never learn.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 12:57 PM
nightglide
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: These young kids never learn.

had 2 killed this week here, the first was doing 130 MPH when he hit the back of the big rig, he was drug a mile.

the second was doing 106 MPH when he hit the back of a Pick up truck, sent the TRUCK flying out of control and off the highway.

the kids friends were on the news saying they will not show down, the bikes made for speed and it is a rush.... now think of the rush the 2 buds got right at the IMPACT!

Old 04-24-2007, 01:22 PM
the_icemAN
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

same thing here just a week or 2 ago in the Seattle area. Rice-burner over the 520 floating bridge was doin over 150 at night. Ended up tagging a SUV and rider killed instantly. Wreckage was spead between 1/4 and 1/2 mile. Bike (if you could call it that) was just a very small pile of molten plastic (from the fire) and you couldn't even tell there was really an engine just a few hunks of twisted/bent metal.

My opinion has always been the same .... take your bike and race on the track. This kinda stuff is worse than drinking and driving. With drinking and driving the alchohol impairs judgement and you do things you would not normally do (such as drive). With racing or high speeds on our freeways/roads riders are fully aware of what they are doing and making a decision conciously to put their lives and other lives at risk.

While the stories mentioned are sad .... I think we have all pretty much become kinda NUMB to them as they happen over and over and over again.

No statistics but just 'gut feeling here'. I've seen Many a rider of HDs riding fast but not so 'stupid'. Many I've talked to have had accidents which weren't really their fault. I'd guestimate that way less than 1/2 of the accidents involving HD riders are the rider's fault. (most of us don't wanna have to pay for our bikes to be fixed as they are so expensive). Seems to me .... those accidents involving Rice Burners probably are over 75-80% the rider's fault. Says something doesn't it?

Maybe one-day they will learn ... but I fear it will only continue to get worse.

Old 04-24-2007, 01:50 PM
Nightrider2
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

It's not just the rice burners, it's the people who ride the bike, just this past Sat a group went riding, all Harleys, one guy and his wife took off like a scalded dog they were on the same bike. Well, he missed a curve and crashed, broke his leg, or legs, and she broke her sternum. #1. engage brain before engaging throttle. This is his second wreck in a couple of years, his first bike[Haley] is in a local indy shop getting fixed from that wreck.

Old 04-24-2007, 01:51 PM
Detro996
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: the_icemAN

same thing here just a week or 2 ago in the Seattle area. Rice-burner over the 520 floating bridge was doin over 150 at night. Ended up tagging a SUV and rider killed instantly. Wreckage was spead between 1/4 and 1/2 mile. Bike (if you could call it that) was just a very small pile of molten plastic (from the fire) and you couldn't even tell there was really an engine just a few hunks of twisted/bent metal.

My opinion has always been the same .... take your bike and race on the track. This kinda stuff is worse than drinking and driving. With drinking and driving the alchohol impairs judgement and you do things you would not normally do (such as drive). With racing or high speeds on our freeways/roads riders are fully aware of what they are doing and making a decision conciously to put their lives and other lives at risk.

While the stories mentioned are sad .... I think we have all pretty much become kinda NUMB to them as they happen over and over and over again.

No statistics but just 'gut feeling here'. I've seen Many a rider of HDs riding fast but not so 'stupid'. Many I've talked to have had accidents which weren't really their fault. I'd guestimate that way less than 1/2 of the accidents involving HD riders are the rider's fault. (most of us don't wanna have to pay for our bikes to be fixed as they are so expensive). Seems to me .... those accidents involving Rice Burners probably are over 75-80% the rider's fault. Says something doesn't it?

Maybe one-day they will learn ... but I fear it will only continue to get worse.
Probably more like 98 % rider fault / lack of skill. If you have ridden a modern sportbike it will absolutely blow your mind. The shear acceleration will put you in a world of hurt in literally a few split seconds. Even if your out curving and using the bikeper its designit is so easy to accelerate off one turn and in an instant find yourself to hot for the next. It blows my mind that anyone and many with no skills what so ever can go and purchase one. The whole stunting scene is ruining the bikes image and there are way to many people out there trying to emulateit without a clue as to how many times those guys have crashed learning to do those stunts.
These conversationstalking about 5 or 6 gears / what RPM's and do youneed the 6th gear and so on. Imagine being able to do triple digits in first and then still have 5 more gears. Imagine being able to whack the throttle in 3rd at110 mph / 7K rpm'sand it stand straight up and you still have 3 more gears not to mention redline is 12K plus and the bikes real power comes on 9K.
Like you say though its only going to get worse, unfortunately. Mainly because they get better and better every year.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:15 PM
Drich57
Cruiser

Kids think they're indestructible - until something puts the fear of God in them. I know I felt that way till a few years in the service showed me that I was just as liable to get killed as the next guy. After that I was amazingly restrained, and I never take any chances or do anything stupid when I have a rider - it's just not worth it. I ride to enjoy the ride, not beat everybody else there.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:14 AM
Madav8tr
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd guestimate that way less than 1/2 of the accidents involving HD riders are the rider's fault
Your guesstimate would be wrong. The vast majority of all motorcycle accidents, sportbike, metric, Italian, Harley....whatever are rider error. Single vehicle crashes make up that majority and alcohol plays a huge rolse as well. The point is, stupid people buy sportbikes and they also buy Harley's. Nothing will change it, it's the same as it ever was I guess.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:33 AM
The Pawnbroker
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Just finished reading the paper. With regard to the original accident BaggerSam saw, the driver was 29 from Baltimore, MD and she was 30 and from Laurel, MD. According the the State Police, he was passing a vehicle on the right shoulder when he lost control. Both hit the guardrail and died at the scene. They were on a 2004 Yamaha R-1.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:41 AM
btefft
Outstanding HDF Member

Here in Columbus, a Lt in the army borrowed his CO's crotch rocket to give his girl friend a ride. (She came down for the weekend to visit from S Carolina). They went to dinner, drank too much. They left, her on back, he lost control and they hit along a guard rail, only guard rail on th whole blame road. Both of his legs were crushed. She lost her right arm at the scene and her left leg later at the hospital - double amputee - I only lost my right leg and can't even imagine what she's going to have to go through. She also punctured one of her lungs, suffered brain bleeding (both had helmets), compression fracture of her back, busted spleen - those are the things I remember. I went to visit her, but could only see her mom and dad, She was in intensive care, needless to say, they were devastated. We hade prayer for them right there in the waiting room. Mom couldn't bring herself to go and speak to the boyfriend.

He was charged with DUI, improper lane change, excessive speeding, causing severe bodily harm to another and maybe more that I can't remember. WHen he gets out of the hospital, he had both physical and legal problems awaiting. I guess his life is ruined.

Youngsters - they think they are immortal.

Hack

Old 04-25-2007, 05:59 AM
GMONEY220
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

your avatar is funny bro.Man,i tell yougod had my back when i was doing 110 on my gixxer and my chain broke!It didn't touch the tire,or crack the case.it wraped around the frame tube and i coasted to the side rail.After talking with a few bike mechs i sold the rocket and never bought another one.That was in 94' and my fifth rocket!!!Haven't had one since nor will i buy one.just to tempting with the wheelies and burnouts for me!!!
ORIGINAL: mrhappy999

ORIGINAL: hotpursuit

time and age they learn....usually... but its sometimes hard to get to that point... i was "lucky" more than a few times in my youth...
Been there.[sm=youreright.gif]

Old 04-25-2007, 08:55 AM
relli
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Madav8tr

I'd guestimate that way less than 1/2 of the accidents involving HD riders are the rider's fault
Your guesstimate would be wrong. The vast majority of all motorcycle accidents, sportbike, metric, Italian, Harley....whatever are rider error. Single vehicle crashes make up that majority and alcohol plays a huge rolse as well. The point is, stupid people buy sportbikes and they also buy Harley's. Nothing will change it, it's the same as it ever was I guess.
i'm guilty. i was so worried bout watchin for the cagers that i almost killed me and the wife last month. last day of bike week, left in a haevy fog, lost my bearings in areal heavy patch and blew thru an intersection into a pasture, 630 am on my bday! i broke clr bone in 3 places , 4 ribs, damaged spleen-wife had concussion and lost her spleen-cost geico 9K damage on the bike over a 100K in medical (gee wonder if they'll renew me this year). bike is back and we're both still ridin. thank God. learned my lesson?? yeah need FOG LIGHTS LOL J/K be careful out there guys and remeber the whole game changes when you have a passenger.

Quick Reply: These young kids never learn.