Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UPDATE.! Just shorted the wires to my Cigarette Lighter & lost my turn signals & brake lights, etc!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 08:17 PM
Road Glider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UPDATE.! Just shorted the wires to my Cigarette Lighter & lost my turn signals & brake lights, etc!!

DATEWas mounting my Zumo GPS and bought a cigarette lighter adapter to wire the unit to. Anyway it wasn't seating properly in the female side of the lighter on the bike so I started turning it and trying to adjust the interior of the recepticle to getit toseat right and hold the adapter. To make a long story short, I must have twisted and shorted the wires feeding the lighter becauseI took her for a ride and had no turn signals, brake light, etc. Also no power to cigarette lighter/Zumo.

The lighter housingwill now come out about 1/4". I've got an 07 Road Glide and have never taken off the fairing. I was wondering:

!) Should Ikeep pullingon the cigarette light housing until it comes out and try to temporarily tape the wiresuntil I can find somebody to help me get the fairing off?

Also, I know where the fuse box is but have never taken the side cover off. I'm sure I blew a fuse..(on the bike that is[:@]). Does it just pull off like the service manual says?

Appreciate any help....I'm really not a very good mechanic, etc. (as you can tell)[:@][:@]!

Old 04-22-2007, 08:20 PM
AtkRWC
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Help! Just shorted thte wires to my Cigarette Lighter and lost my tunsignals and brake lights!!

You really need to take the fairing off and take a look at the wire(s). There could be damage/shorts that you might not see otherwise. Taking the fairing off is an easy affair. The fuse is 99% likely blown but again not a big deal, infact the fuse box should have an extra when you open it.

Old 04-22-2007, 09:24 PM
StreetGlide2006
Road Warrior
Default RE: Help! Just shorted thte wires to my Cigarette Lighter and lost my tunsignals and brake lights!!

I have found the best tool for any job you are not sure how to do is the HD Service manual for your bike. It simply explains how to take the fairing off. What fuse to check to get things working again and much more. At a price of $58.00 retail it is a must have. The first time you do something you would have paid a dealer to do, you have paid for the manual in labor charges saved.

Ride Safe,

Mike

Old 04-22-2007, 11:36 PM
Road Glider
Tourer

UPDATE...

Yes I do have a service manual so I went ahead and got the outer fairing off. Bent the leads on the cirarette lighter back into position, popped off the left side cover and replaced the ACC fuse that was blown. Checked and everything works fine.

Tried for an hour to get the damn outerfairing back on. I just can'tseem to get it into the hooks!!!

Now what? What's the trick? I took off the windshield so I could see better but still can't get it the damn thing back on!!!.

Old 04-22-2007, 11:36 PM
Road Glider
Tourer

bump

Old 04-22-2007, 11:47 PM
SpikeCT
Road Captain

usually you just start the bolts in front of windshield and then slide the shield into place