Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil drip into breather

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 09:47 PM
Moochoff
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil drip into breather

Hey guys,

I got my 107 done and dynoed again with a new intake and exhaust. Problem is the intake I got didnt have any where for the oil vent to go so my crank pressurized and puked into the air cleaner. I ran it for probably 30 minutes before I figured out where it was coming from.... I picked up another filter kit with the back plate that vents into the throttle body.

Now it quit pouring out, but now I'm getting an oil drip from the vent. It went from just vapor in the first 600 miles to a steady drip from the air cleaner where it pooled inside.

Am I not getting good enough vent for my 107? Did I mess up a ring causes my cylinder to pressurize the crank case? I won't be able to do a compression test until I get home with it

Thanks!
Jake

Old 03-21-2015, 10:26 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,844 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Too much oil is your problem, take about 1/4 quart out.

Old 03-21-2015, 10:53 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Moochoff
Hey guys,

I got my 107 done and dynoed again with a new intake and exhaust. Problem is the intake I got didnt have any where for the oil vent to go so my crank pressurized and puked into the air cleaner. I ran it for probably 30 minutes before I figured out where it was coming from.... I picked up another filter kit with the back plate that vents into the throttle body.

Now it quit pouring out, but now I'm getting an oil drip from the vent. It went from just vapor in the first 600 miles to a steady drip from the air cleaner where it pooled inside.

Am I not getting good enough vent for my 107? Did I mess up a ring causes my cylinder to pressurize the crank case? I won't be able to do a compression test until I get home with it

Thanks!
Jake
===============================

If ensuring oil lvl isnt too high doesnt fix issues with oil from crankcase breather going into air cleaner or intake then you need to remove the crankcase breather from intake system altogether & relocate it using one of the kits avail from DKCustoms. (see link below)

http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/All-...ngines_c76.htm

Also,in some cases you need longer then stock crankcase breather bolts with the holes in them to install DK's external crankcase breather which are avail on ebay or from Kurykyn (SP?) website.

My 09 FLHTCU w-96ci has a SE airfilter that required the .5" longer then stock breather bolts to mount the DK external crankcase breather kit on the SE aircleaner backplate which attaches to the heads with the longer breather bolts that have holes in the center.

The crankcase breather kit uses a small cleanable K&N looking/type chrome filter that you clean every once in a while,take approx 5-10mins tops to do.

The stock chrome oval/football shape air cleaner cover fits over DK's external crankcase breather kit with no problem.

BTW,the motor,airfilter,& intake system in general will benefit from the cooler air significantly extending air cleaner srvc life , intake manifold-throttle body & throttle plate (EFI) -intake valves & combustion chamber will stay a much cleaner without the hot oil mist fumes & blowby from crankcase entering the motors intake system the entire time the motors running really gunking/carboning all those area's esp when the oil mist from crankcase breather is combusted all of which is no good IMHO.

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 03-21-2015 at 11:03 PM.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:35 AM
Moochoff
Advanced

I checked at our last stop last night while leaning straight up and it was right at the hot full mark..... (Had been spitting for a few hundred miles)

I will keep running it today and see what happens to the oil level and if I keep consuming oil passed the full mark.

Thanks for the replies!
Going from Santa Fe to SoCal today

Jake

Old 03-22-2015, 10:18 AM
03snake
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My leaked at the Full line as well. 1/2 way up the stick cold solved it.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:26 AM
BJB
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Vent the breather bolts to the ground or a catch can. Oil level may also be a problem but quit running that sloppy sludge into the TB. The best thing about the FM billet airclean is how easy it is to run the vents. A little RTV, some hose & fittings and done.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:30 AM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,564 Likes on 671 Posts

Hey Moo,
Here's a great thread showing how to do a couple of by-pass mods. Did mine this winter; not very hard at all. Cost was about $25. Mine resembles the DK product.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ncluded-3.html

Old 03-22-2015, 02:30 PM
Mirnldi@gmail.com
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 03snake
My leaked at the Full line as well. 1/2 way up the stick cold solved it.
Yes this works. 3 1/2 quarts instead of 4

Old 03-23-2015, 08:18 PM
Moochoff
Advanced

Yuma to San Diego and up to the south side of Death Valley today.

Looks like I got it right around two ticks from hot/full mark and it has significantly slowed down. It is still slobbering a little but nothing I can't wipe off at gas stops. I wish I had time to make a hose/can setup but were just running too many miles a day. Cruise has been set at 75-90mph and this 107 runs very hard

Jake

Old 03-23-2015, 08:52 PM
Mirnldi@gmail.com
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Moochoff
Yuma to San Diego and up to the south side of Death Valley today. Looks like I got it right around two ticks from hot/full mark and it has significantly slowed down. It is still slobbering a little but nothing I can't wipe off at gas stops. I wish I had time to make a hose/can setup but were just running too many miles a day. Cruise has been set at 75-90mph and this 107 runs very hard Jake
I've found that running extended periods at highway speeds really makes mine puke.

Quick Reply: Oil drip into breather