Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backrest options when TourPak is detached??

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 08:50 AM
skibum0607
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Backrest options when TourPak is detached??

When I bought the bike I had the dealer install the detachable TourPak kit because I wanted to be able to take the pak off and ride it like a bagger when I didn't want or need the TourPak on. So I also bought the detachable HD AirWing sissy bar and backrest because the wife doesn't feel safe without something behind her. Problem is, it doesn't look good with the Limited touring seat, and she says it's too low for her.

The AirWing is a nice sissy bar but it's definitely more suited for a SG or something with a smaller passenger seat. I'm curious what anyone else with a Ultra or Limited is using for a passenger backrest that looks good with the stock touring seat when they take their TourPak off... or should I just tell the wife to quick complaining and hold on.

That quick detach kit is awesome, by the way. I can have the TourPak off in less than a minute and I'm ready to ride. Just make sure you get the locking latches. You don't want someone walking off with your TourPak. The HD locking latches aren't the best. I'm sure someone with a heavy screwdriver can just bust it off, but they're better than nothing.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:06 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 338 Posts

hang on...

when a passenger is leaning back, their weight is kinda wobbling around and shifting after you have set up the lean for a curve.

if the passenger hangs on, they are more in sync with your weight shifts.
if inexperienced I tell then to look past me into each curve, that gets then leaning the right way- ever had someone lean the wrong way on you?

sorry I can;t be of more help, this'll bump you up

mike

Old 03-21-2015, 11:53 AM
skibum0607
Cruiser

Thanks, Mike. I kinda thought the same thing but the wife is not buying it. Her weight shifting is not really an issue for me (she's barely 100 lbs) and I want her to feel safe riding without the TourPak, so I'll see what other options I can find. I was hoping someone here might have found a good backrest option for their Ultra or Limited with the TourPak off.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:59 AM
03snake
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Airwing sissy bar is shorter than the HD standard height bar. I use the standard height bar and the over-sized passenger backrest pad on my '13 SG with a HD Sundowner seat. The over sized pad adds extra height as it's taller and wider than the regular pad. My wife loves it and feels very supported by the larger pad. Be aware that the triangular pad mount shown is the optional Billet Backrest Pad Mount. The pad does come with a basic mount. This is the tallest sissybar and largest pad from HD for your bike I believe.

Standard height sissy bar:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...CatEntryType=2

Oversized backrest pad:

Billet pad mount:

Her are some pictures of it on mine:

Attached Thumbnails Backrest options when TourPak is detached??-dsc_0280.jpg   Backrest options when TourPak is detached??-dsc_0281.jpg  

Last edited by 03snake; 03-21-2015 at 12:10 PM. Reason: addition
Old 03-21-2015, 01:03 PM
skibum0607
Cruiser

Thanks, Snake. That looks like the best option for me using the HD detachable mount kit. I saw the std height sissybar when I was looking at the AirWing but from the different pictures I saw of the two online it didn't appear to be that much different in height. Now that I see yours with the oversized pad, it's clearly higher, which would make the wife happy.

Are there any after-market sissybars that can attach to the HD detachable mount? I'm not opposed to looking at an after-market bar/pad as long as it works with the HD mount kit.

Unless I can find something else, I'm going to see if the dealer will do an exchange for me to get the std height HD bar you suggested. Thanks again, you were very helpful.

Old 03-21-2015, 03:40 PM
03snake
Tourer

My Pleasure. Not sure if aftermarket sissy bars will fit the HD 4 point. You could check with Kuryakyn but I didn't see anything there that would work. One thing as well, your passenger pillion will be a bit higher than the HD Sundowner pillion but with the oversized pad it will be as high as you can get it. Be great if he could do an exchange for you. Good luck.

Old 03-21-2015, 04:27 PM
skibum0607
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 03snake
My Pleasure. Not sure if aftermarket sissy bars will fit the HD 4 point. You could check with Kuryakyn but I didn't see anything there that would work. One thing as well, your passenger pillion will be a bit higher than the HD Sundowner pillion but with the oversized pad it will be as high as you can get it. Be great if he could do an exchange for you. Good luck.
My dealer said he'd take the AirWing back and would just put it on another bike on the floor. I also sent him your parts list to see if I could do a swap. They've been great to work with... (shout out to Robb at HD of Erie!!).

Old 03-21-2015, 05:31 PM
03snake
Tourer

Good new's, I'm sure your wife will be happier, Cheers

Old 03-21-2015, 07:02 PM
Trucky911
Road Warrior

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts

My tour pak is only on when my wife is riding with me. 90% of the time its off. If she rode more it would still be off when I was solo riding. Not hard to take off or put back on....

Trucky911

Old 03-21-2015, 10:54 PM
09UltraRyder
Intermediate
Default Backrest

You might want to take the wife to the Harley dealership. They have a couple different heights for the back rest. I did the same thing and bought the standard height backrest. After she tried it she informed me that she would prefer the taller backrest. Of course it will cost me more money, but if she is not happy, I won't be either.

Quick Reply: Backrest options when TourPak is detached??