Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backrest options when TourPak is detached??

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 11:30 PM
skibum0607
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 09UltraRyder
You might want to take the wife to the Harley dealership. They have a couple different heights for the back rest. I did the same thing and bought the standard height backrest. After she tried it she informed me that she would prefer the taller backrest. Of course it will cost me more money, but if she is not happy, I won't be either.
As far as I can tell from the 2015 parts catalog, the standard height is the tallest detachable sissy bar available from HD for the 2009 and newer touring models. The "tall" version is only available for 2008 and older. That's partly why I'll probably go with the over-sized pad that Snake recommended as well, to get the extra height, even though I don't need a pad that big.

But you are right... if Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. (and by the way... Damn Bro, nice avatar!! You must be a happy guy.)

Old 03-22-2015, 05:51 AM
Dsm Limited
Club Member
Received 9,581 Likes on 3,244 Posts

When I have my tour pack off, I change the seat to a stock street glide seat. It makes the standard height sissy bar taller for the passenger. It also makes the bike look sleeker.

My wife won't ride without the sissy bar or tour pack.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:50 AM
skibum0607
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Dsm Limited
When I have my tour pack off, I change the seat to a stock street glide seat. It makes the standard height sissy bar taller for the passenger. It also makes the bike look sleeker.

My wife won't ride without the sissy bar or tour pack.
I agree it would look better with the SG seat when the tourpak is off. The stock Limited seat has a pretty large pillion. The wife loves it but she doesn't really need a seat like that for riding around town. Perhaps that's the way to go, but I'm curious if the SG seat has the slot that I can still use the driver backrest?

Also, which pad is that in your pic? Is there any chance you have a front and back picture of your bike with that backrest on?

Thanks for the thought.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:11 AM
Eunoterpsia
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Default skibum0607, IMHO, you should visit Tourrest.com

Separately, I bought the fixed position removable backrest (sometimes I think I should have bought an adjustable aftermarket backrest) and a backrest pad only from Tourrest.com.

My wife appreciates feeling secure and able to really "rest" while we are cruising. I don't like to be hugged or held on to and neither does my wife want to hug or hold onto me for the entire ride. This backrest pad from tourrest affords us more enjoyment while two up on the bike and we sure get questions about it.

The 2nd best thing I bought in terms of her comfort was kuryakyn adjustable passenger pegs. Now she rides in comfort and with her feet up like a boss.

Last edited by Eunoterpsia; 03-22-2015 at 08:20 AM.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:14 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,642 Posts

^^^Yowsa^^^

I believe 09UltraRyder's passenger's b(@)(@)bs are the best option...!

Old 03-22-2015, 08:47 AM
skibum0607
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Eunoterpsia
Separately, I bought the fixed position removable backrest (sometimes I think I should have bought an adjustable aftermarket backrest) and a backrest pad only from Tourrest.com.

My wife appreciates feeling secure and able to really "rest" while we are cruising. I don't like to be hugged or held on to and neither does my wife want to hug or hold onto me for the entire ride. This backrest pad from tourrest affords us more enjoyment while two up on the bike and we sure get questions about it.

The 2nd best thing I bought in terms of her comfort was kuryakyn adjustable passenger pegs. Now she rides in comfort and with her feet up like a boss.
That's certainly an option I've never seen before, but I just can't get into the look of that backrest. I suppose if the wife needed that much comfort then I would probably just leave the tourpak on. I'm thinking that product is targeted toward the guy that wants the comfort of a tourpak but doesn't need the storage and/or want the expense of adding one.

Interesting idea, but probably not for me. I appreciate the thought though.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:50 AM
skibum0607
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Eunoterpsia

By the way... I love the photoshopped avatar. That's awesome and hilarious!

Old 03-22-2015, 08:53 AM
Eunoterpsia
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by skibum0607
...the guy that wants the comfort of a tourpak but doesn't need the storage...
exactly... wish you the best on your selection!