Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RK has no turn signals or starter

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015 | 01:49 PM
mcralph
|
Intermediate
Question RK has no turn signals or starter

Over the past 2 years my 03 RK has suddenly quit running while cruising - about 3 times. Coast to a stop, hit the starter and runs fine. A few years ago I did replace the cam sensor due to a slightly different problem. I did several searches here and did come up with some ideas.

I saw where there was a recall for the 40A circuit breaker, except for the RK. I replaced mine as suggested with a 50A hoping that was the problem. However, after reconnecting the battery I have no turn signals, no speedo light and no starting motor. The other lights are bright, brake light works, and the horn is loud.

I checked all fuses and then tried to do a TSSM reset (as described on this Forum). Nothing happens when I hit the left turn signal twice. It is lit and stays lit. The other three indicator lamps don't light at all. Also replaced the fob batteries and tried to set or disable the alarm with the fob but get no response.

Since it's the turn signals and starter only (and speedometer) it sure seems to be in the security system even though everything worked fine until replacing the circuit breaker.

I also checked as many connections as I could, including the ignition switch.

Right now I'm stumped.

Old 03-20-2015 | 02:18 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
From: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians

Put the old breaker back in, and see what happens.

Old 03-23-2015 | 12:15 PM
mcralph
|
Intermediate

Put the old breaker in and same problem.

I couldn't stop thinking it had to be something I did (basic repair rule number 1) and sure enough! When I cleaned the frame ground terminal, unknown to me one of the wires dropped out of sight.
Since it was the only thing I did other than the fuse, it seemed the best possibility. I looked again (third time) and there it was, hidden behind the wiring harness.

Dang! I hate it when that happens but I did save myself a tow trip to the dealer , not to mention tons of embarrassment and money!

Old 03-23-2015 | 12:19 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

Thanks for keeping this thread up so we can all shake our heads and say, "tsk tsk tsk..."