Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what a battery tender will do for you

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 04:28 AM
CarrollB
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default what a battery tender will do for you

I own a 93 Corvette that gets driven 6-8 times a year and otherwise is parked in my unheated garage beside my Ultra. I keep a battery tender on both vehicles it at all times, as well as my quad and lawn tractor. This past weekend I put a 100 amp load test on the battery in the vette while monitoring the voltage with a digital voltmeter. The battery voltage dropped to 10.5 under load but recovered immediately to 12.5 after the load tester was turned off. Still I will feel more confident if I install a new battery. The location of the battery in this car makes it very difficult to hook up jumper cables should I need them, and you have to remove a piece of the fender to install a new battery. I checked my maintenance records last night and the battery in the car is 14 years old! That is why I put the battery tender on my bike any time I am not riding it for more than 1-2 days unless I am on a road trip. I will not push the battery in the bike that many years but I still expect to get 6-8 years out of it.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:50 AM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 727 Likes on 486 Posts

I would have got a tender long ago if I knew I was gonna get a 93 vette out of it lol.. I don't use one yet but my bike never goes a week without going somewhere

Old 03-17-2015, 07:25 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,527 Likes on 1,422 Posts

I alternate one battery tender between several batteries. It may stay on one for a few days or a week, then on to the next, and so on. Ones driven frequently at that time don't get the charger.
OP, you could install a remote jump point on your vette to make it easier to jump start. My Cadillac has the battery in the trunk, my jump point is under the hood. I have installed battery tender pigtails to make it easier to connect the battery tender to my vehicles, too - even my riding mower.
Definitely extends battery life.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:06 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 338 Posts

motorcycle battery is subjected to heat and vibrations...2 things that kill batteries.

I don't get 6 to 8 years...not even close.

in my cars either.

the desert has alot to do with that

mike

Old 03-17-2015, 09:34 AM
Am4wag
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

My '06 RK has the original battery.1st.owner kept it on BT.I'm 2nd.owner and keep it on in winter/whenever I don't anticipate running it for a few days or more.I'm actually getting ready to go out shortly and do a voltage drop test.I'm checking because I'm heavily leaning towards replaceing it anyways.I think 9 years is "enough blood out of this turnip".

Old 03-17-2015, 09:43 AM
turnerbend
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CarrollB
I own a 93 Corvette that gets driven 6-8 times a year and otherwise is parked in my unheated garage beside my Ultra. I keep a battery tender on both vehicles it at all times, as well as my quad and lawn tractor. This past weekend I put a 100 amp load test on the battery in the vette while monitoring the voltage with a digital voltmeter. The battery voltage dropped to 10.5 under load but recovered immediately to 12.5 after the load tester was turned off. Still I will feel more confident if I install a new battery. The location of the battery in this car makes it very difficult to hook up jumper cables should I need them, and you have to remove a piece of the fender to install a new battery. I checked my maintenance records last night and the battery in the car is 14 years old! That is why I put the battery tender on my bike any time I am not riding it for more than 1-2 days unless I am on a road trip. I will not push the battery in the bike that many years but I still expect to get 6-8 years out of it.
Hmm, are you bragging or complaining???

Old 03-17-2015, 10:11 AM
HotRod9mm
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A friend had the same battery in his '03 Road King for 11yrs before it failed. Bike is always plunged in when parked.

Cool:

Old 03-17-2015, 10:35 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I have found battery life is a crap shoot..I just changed out the original battery in my sportster, it was 14 years old (2000).. and the battery on my 11 RKC just went bad after 4 years.. I had a 00 softail that the battery died after 11 months, and the new one lasted 3 years... and it really doesn't seem to matter if they are on a charger/maintainer..except that if you keep them on the charger/maintainer they make it though the long winter months better..

Old 03-17-2015, 10:59 AM
Bagger_Vance
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CarrollB
My FIL has a '93 black convertible with red interior that has just over 15K miles on it that he bought new and is on the original battery because it's always on a tender. Hell, he never drives it except for parades it seems like but gets the oil changed every year. My wife and I took it to Nashville then to the Corvette museum a few years ago and he did as well the year the museum opened (1994) and has his signature on the opening weekend banner. He's telling my wife and I that it's going to my 17 year old son for a high school graduation present but we'll see.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:13 AM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior

Received 231 Likes on 161 Posts

I have a 15 year old battery in a pickup that gets used only for pulling firewood from the woods. Never been on a tender. Battery is fine. My buddies got a 2002 Fat Boy and just recently took the original battery out. The tender may make some batteries last longer. Or maybe the battery would have lasted just as long. Never can tell.

Quick Reply: what a battery tender will do for you