Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any True Duals or Exhaust advice 4 88

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 09:54 AM
Tony79dr
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Any True Duals or Exhaust advice 4 88

Here is my dilemma. I've always thought you have 2 headers you have 2 separate exhausts. I don't know why, was never told, just something I thought made sense. Less bends and impedence means more unrestricted air means more power. so true duals Is what I should get. Right? I love the look of 2 pipes coming from my bagger,

So which ones? What can I be looking to spend for full system?

Also going to purchase hi flow air intake? Is there a best combination or just go with what I like looks wise, because with a kN they will all basically be the same.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:03 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 641 Likes on 495 Posts

There is a difference in sound between 'true duals' and the siamesed duals that are stock, and that are on many machines...to me, it's the sound that makes the difference here. I have read, and I have been told by guys who have gone to 'true duals', that they have lost a little bottom end initially, but when they had the engine remapped, it came back and then some. For an 88, you need all the torque you can get, so that's an important task to take care of.

Personally, I don't think there's a whole heck of a lotta difference in intake efficiency between the various ones out there, so I think you're right...the K&N is the thing that's gonna make a difference. My 88 has the SE intake, with the K&N upgrade and a round traditional air cleaner, works fine with the Rinehart 2 into 1 exhaust.

The stock exhaust on my 2006 FLHX is for all intents and purposes a 2 into 1 exhaust with the left side hung on for looks only. When I first got it, I was put off by the fact that the right side was very noticeably louder than the left. When you put your true duals on, they should be equal.

I think you're on the right track already...if you like the looks and sound, go for it... You're probably looking at a minimum of five to six hundred bucks for head pipes alone...shop around...and don't forget, not all head pipes that LOOK like true duals ARE true duals...that said, I'd personally prefer pipes that are siamesed, I prefer the performance and sound of them...but that's me!

Good luck, exhaust threads are VERY popular here, but your question is a bit different and intriguing...

Old 03-15-2015, 10:10 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

I am a fan of TRUE duals...

There are some good ones out there, I use RUSH Racing, ceramic coated inside and out.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:13 AM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 223 Posts

Most exhaust systems are designed for optimal engine performance for general street operation. They minimize or eliminate reversion and enhance the intake process. Their design is very complex. Tru duals (no crossover flow) are most effective in cases where the engine usually runs at wide open throttle like a drag bike. Reversion there is not an issue. But, at lower rpm's, reversion can cause interference with fuel intake. Thus the loss of power and possible stumble. Some fix the problem by inserting a restriction in the header to break the reversion wave. It often works. However, adding the restriction then can mean less intake enhancement at high rpm's and loss of some hp. That might cancel out the benefits of the hi flow intake. Not trying to bad mouth tru duals or anything else. Just trying to say that the engine components have to work in harmony for good all around performance. So do the research. Consider the consequences. Then make your choices.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:15 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts

True duals are about the sound and look. 2 into 1 pipes are about performance. Harley's had 2 into 1 pipes all through the old days.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:37 AM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 728 Likes on 487 Posts

I have duals with monster ovals and they sound good..

Old 03-15-2015, 12:24 PM
Donnybrook
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have V&H Dresser Duals and Rush 3 1\2 slip ons and Big Sucker a/c. They look and sound good and I haven't noticed and loss in power.

Old 03-15-2015, 12:52 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I suppose the "exhaust" question can be answered in many ways; and it can be exhausting... so to speak.

I liked the sound of TD pipes, I found my 2-1-2 Power duals with monster ovals... was close but did not sound quite like TD pipes.

I got a set of MGS TD pipes ran them for a year. I did notice a drop in torque in the 2K-to 3K range. I ride hilly and twisty roads and go through the mountain passes frequently. So, I am now running a V&H 2-1 pro pipe, and my torque is back.

The 2-1 sounds good, not the same at the TD pipes.

Just my own personal exhaust experience.

Old 03-15-2015, 12:53 PM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 135 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by decencyxdefied
I have duals with monster ovals and they sound good..

on a side note, I like the avatar. Listening to Pantera as I type this.

Old 03-15-2015, 12:56 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default duals

Originally Posted by Donnybrook
I have V&H Dresser Duals and Rush 3 1\2 slip ons and Big Sucker a/c. They look and sound good and I haven't noticed and loss in power.
I was told by V&H that the dresser duals, were a better performer than the V&H power duals, after I had already had my power duals installed-
I did not research pipes enough.

Quick Reply: Any True Duals or Exhaust advice 4 88