Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your Stage 1 A/C Experience

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 09:23 AM
BartsRoadKing
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased the Ness stage 2 for mine. Was very easy to install and was only $161 to the door. Loving it so far.....

Attached Thumbnails Your Stage 1 A/C Experience-newac.jpg  
Old 03-15-2015, 09:55 AM
scooper321
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Mirnldi@gmail.com
Yes the air cleaner is the place where your blow by is going. As said before look into the dk discreet breather or I've seen others construct there own systems. Also stated before try 3 1/2 quarts instead of 4 quarts of oil. I've noticed with 3 1/2 quarts that I see less oil on the air filter. Still some but not as much as if I were to run 4 quarts.
Thanks. I see what you're saying. And I get what the DK solution is doing. I'm just trying to understand the way the whole system works to understand what causes what.

I'm thinking that if a significant amount of oil blow is happening, it's happening irrespective of whose AC I have on the bike. The AC is just catching it all. So if I don't have an appreciable amount of blow now, it seems to reason changing the AC shouldn't have an effect on that. EXCEPT that I can see that how the AC handles the breather function could play a role in the process. If the AC is efficient at breathing back into the intake, there'd be a negative effect on the performance of the bike, but no oil blow mess. Conversely, if the AC is not efficient at breathing it into the intake (or, as the DK solution does, away from the bike) then you have a mess in your filter and perhaps on your bike.

Note: I'm mostly thinking this through as I type. I'm not arguing with you!

And yeah, I read elsewhere that using a little less oil (filling it to the middle of the dipstick instead of FULL, for example) would also help reduce the blow problem.

Thanks for all the insight and comments. They've all been helpful!

One follow on question: Do you guys that don't use the stock AC cover use a rain sock when it looks wet out? Or do you just park the bike at those times? I don't typically ride in the rain, so it's probably not an issue. Just curious...

Old 03-15-2015, 11:13 AM
BartsRoadKing
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a rain sock for mine in the saddle bag just to be on the safe side.