Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick Detach Tour Pack Installation

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 12:21 PM
BedPimp
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Detach Tour Pack Installation

Hey guys!

I picked up my '07 Electra Glide Classic yesterday and spent hours attempting to install the quick detach kit for the tour pack. I followed the instructions, and got as far as installing the front/back mounting points. Now I'm trying to get the main support off the back of the bike so I can install the rest. It's the tubular chrome piece that the pack attaches to directly. It curves under the seat. It looks like two torx screws hold it on in the front and the license plate frame holds it in the back. There are some trim pieces blocking the front screws, and I don't know how to remove them. Unfortunately, neither the included instructions or the service manual mention anything about taking this part off.

I've also spent hours searching the board and haven't found anything that addresses this issue.

Yes, I know, this post is worthless without pictures. ;-) Once there is enough light, I'll add them to the thread.

Thanks for the help!

Todd

Edited to add picture

In the picture, there is the top of the shock, a screw to the right of it, and to the right of the the bolt that appears to attach the tour pack support rail.

Old 04-21-2007, 12:54 PM
RonH
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Quick Detach Tour Pack Installation

If I recall correctly from doing mine you need to remove the top shock bolt and get all that out of the way, then you can get at everything else. Hope that helps

Old 04-21-2007, 02:18 PM
BedPimp
6th Gear

Thanks RonH. That's what I was afraid of...

I guess I'm picking up a lift this morning and swapping out the shocks while I'm at it.

Old 04-22-2007, 12:18 PM
jbhawley
Road Master

here is a pic of how it looks once mounted...the mounting points. I also have the detachable sissy bar mounts. The tour pak mounts are the once at the most rear.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2462/D9E4CCC4400643D79610B56747F78C1C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-22-2007, 01:05 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

The chrome strut cover is what needs to be removed in order to reach the forward bolt attaching the tour pack rack to the bike. It is attached with the forward saddlebag mounting bracket bolt, a 7/16" bolt I believe; and a bolt just rearward of the upper shock attachment bolt. Removal of those two bolts will free the chrome strut cover and allow you to remove the bolt that attaches the front of the tour pack rack to the bike. The remaining supports for the tube are in the license plate bracket.

It has been a couple of years since I removed my TP support bracket, but I am certain I did not remove the shock absorber bolt to remove the second bolt. It is a tight fit, but removal of the shock bolt wasn't necessary. Also, that rearward bolt attaching the chrome strut support is also removed to install the sissy bar mounting hardware and the solo detachable TP rack. If you are installing the two-up detachable rack, that rearward bolt is simply reinstalled; it is not part of the two-up mounting hardware.

HD recently added a two-up kit for EG Classics; its installation instructions should explain how to do what you are trying to do. Previously, owners of Classics were left to figure this out for themselves since the docking hardware was sold for bikes without the rack/permanently mounted tour packs.

Check out the HD website for the part number of this kit for EG Classicsthen have your dealer print out the installation instructions. Also, I checked the installation instructions for the sissy bar/solo rack hardware and it says to simply remove the"Phillips screw from the hole directly behind the uppoer shock absorber bolt." So, you shouldn't have to remove your shock absorber bolt to remove the screw/bolt. HTH

Old 04-25-2007, 01:06 AM
BedPimp
6th Gear

Thank you so much, that was exactly what I needed!

Old 04-25-2007, 01:28 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

This is a great forum; glad I can occasionally help out, since I have been helped plenty here by others.

Old 04-25-2007, 08:47 AM
jbhawley
Road Master

one good thing about this forum...
someone, somewhere has either attempted or successfully completed everything that all of us want to do. You know men...we never read instructions, which can be a good thing as we eventually figure out a better way to do things.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:06 PM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good info, as I am installing mine today. Thanks for the pointers.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:20 PM
SIM
Outstanding HDF Member

try this link. it helped me on a similar thread a few weeks ago. good information. FIRST thing you do is throw away the HD instructions except for the pictures. http://www.moatsfamily.com/Docking_Station_Install.pdf

Quick Reply: Quick Detach Tour Pack Installation