Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When you buy a new bike...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 01:29 PM
threedeuce5
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Default When you buy a new bike...

Just picked up a "new" 2014 FLHTK on Friday. Not a color I would have picked, but the dealer took 15% off the price in addition to a $200 gift card and all the other usual dealer swag. It was the last holdover they had and the sales manger wanted it gone. I'm not complaining.

Anyways, what do you guys do when you take that new ride home? Any rituals/adjustments you have to do to make it feel like yours? Or is there a certain set of accessories you have to have on before a long ride?

I usually ride it all day after I leave the dealership, wash it when I get home, and then park myself in the garage with a 12 pack and adjust the things I didn't like and permatex all the usual suspects who work themselves loose over the years. My wife says i'm crazy, but that won't ever change.

SO whattya got?

Old 03-10-2015, 01:42 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Thumbs up

Sounds to me as if you have a good ritual already! The first thing I think of is whether the handlebars are just so, or need an adjustment to help me get more comfortable, also the handlebar levers. After that it's where the lights are pointing for riding in the dark, but as for accessories I don't usually see them as important until the two of us have got to know each other a bit better.

Give your wife a hug from us!

Old 03-10-2015, 01:45 PM
Rblum
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on your new ride.

Regarding your question. After i purchased my bike, I immediatly got a heated seat from meancitycycles. Actually, they modified my seat and sent it back. I was down for a week, but saved hundreds of dollars and didn't have to deal with what to do with the old seat. I also had the seat narrowed to allow for my short legs. Both were great mods. I also got a chrome luggage rack and seem to use it all of the time.

Finally. I picked up two adjustable bungee cords from Home Depot. The nice thing is that they are almost Harley Orange in color. They are expandable up to 48" and are self adjusting. For $7.50 the bungee cords were a great deal.

Good luck and happy days

Last edited by Rblum; 03-10-2015 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:50 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 192 Posts

Welcome from NoCal. I just ride mine. I have the HD adj backrest for long road trips. I also have the HD circulator pad which I use & highway pegs. You'll figure it out. My wife has been telling me I'm crazy for 47 years. It mostly goes in one ear & out the other. LOL Be safe & enjoy your bike.

Old 03-10-2015, 02:06 PM
threedeuce5
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by grbrown
Sounds to me as if you have a good ritual already! The first thing I think of is whether the handlebars are just so, or need an adjustment to help me get more comfortable, also the handlebar levers. After that it's where the lights are pointing for riding in the dark, but as for accessories I don't usually see them as important until the two of us have got to know each other a bit better.

Give your wife a hug from us!
I'll tell her y'all said hi

Old 03-10-2015, 02:10 PM
Webo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

First thing I do is remove heal shifter. Second is instal windshield trim because it looks like they left something off during assembly and while I'm at it I install the Klock Werks windshield. Then it's time to ride...lol... Congrats!

Old 03-10-2015, 03:07 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,588 Likes on 973 Posts

take the windshield off and put it away

Old 03-10-2015, 03:11 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

I usually say, "what the hell have I done now"

Old 03-10-2015, 03:16 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 333 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Webo
First thing I do is remove heal shifter. Second is instal windshield trim because it looks like they left something off during assembly and while I'm at it I install the Klock Werks windshield. Then it's time to ride...lol... Congrats!

Old 03-10-2015, 03:19 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

Windshield trim, is that like that door edge trim rebranded as windshield trim?

Quick Reply: When you buy a new bike...