Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lessons learned while installing apes

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 07:49 AM
badasstruck
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Apes are next on my list of mods...just need to sort out style and how high I wanna go. BUT it's finally riding weather....I'll prolly wait till next winter to do more mods. Time to ride!!!

Old 03-10-2015, 07:50 AM
harley#1
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good job doing your bars. another tip someone told me that makes the process a little easier and safe is to run some chain through the bars and pull back and forth a bit. this will take off any burs and sharp things that could cut your wires and makes pulling through that much easier.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:42 AM
jclax01
Road Warrior
Received 481 Likes on 265 Posts

If I have to ever do it again, I would spend the extra money for the pre wired bars and cables. with that its really just plug and play with no splicing.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:55 AM
ohiomike
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I did mine on my 97 softail custom and only problem was the risers I bought hide the wiring through them. wasn`t happy with bar position and when I pushed them forward, cut my wires. damn, lesson learned. ( wires went through risers, didn`t come out in middle of bars, two holes in handlebars where risers were) if that explains it any better

Old 03-10-2015, 11:51 AM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Thanks for the notes all. I am in the middle of mine as well and hope to not have to do some things the hard way.

Old 03-23-2015, 05:07 PM
SG-Jay
Road Captain
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

To the guys that have installed 12' apes. Did you use poly bushings? If not do you think it needs them? I'm ordering Paul Yaffe monkey bars for my 2012 street glide and wondering if I should order bushings. Is a +6 clutch cable long enough?

Old 03-23-2015, 08:25 PM
Cpt Morgan
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cheap and easy to change the bushings, so why not while you have everything apart. My 2 cents.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:33 PM
Cull22420
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put 12" twin peaks on my bike.....I was planning on getting 10" but people I talked to and reading online said "whatever bars you think you want, go 2" taller". So I did and no regrets what so ever. I would've been disappointed in the 10". It would have been a hell of a lot easier and cheaper with 10"s but the money and time was definitely worth going up a size!

Just my two cents for anyone upgrading bars.

Old 03-24-2015, 03:45 PM
RistoRap
Advanced
Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Got my 12" Monkey Bars installed over the weekend. Went with a pre rigged kit from Hill Country (very happy with their product) to save myself some grief. Install wasn't too bad as it was my first time tearing my bike down this far. I did have a few minor hiccups - exhaust flange bolt almost stripped, forgot to screw to O2 sensors back in before re installing the exhaust.... Had to google a video on bleeding the brake as it didn't seem to be working, found out I just needed to take my time which was hard to do as it was the last step. Feel rather good about accomplishing the install with no physical help. Very happy with the results.

I do have a couple questions:

1. I only adjusted the clutch cable as per the manual, I did not adjust the actual clutch as this was done last fall as part of the 5k service - I don't need to have it readjusted do I?

2. I didn't see any pinch points or at the clutch or brake cables when turning full lock to lock but is there any other areas I should look for?

Old 03-24-2015, 04:01 PM
oc1014
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SG-Jay
To the guys that have installed 12' apes. Did you use poly bushings? If not do you think it needs them? I'm ordering Paul Yaffe monkey bars for my 2012 street glide and wondering if I should order bushings. Is a +6 clutch cable long enough?
I did use the poly bushings on my install of Wild Ones 577 bars (12.5"). I only wish they were more ridged ( Good and Tite brand ). +6 on the clutch cable and brake line was perfect.

Quick Reply: Lessons learned while installing apes