Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lessons learned while installing apes

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 05:59 PM
Murderface
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cyclgoat
As far as the clutch cover, I just changed my cable and my 09 ultra was on its jiffy, took the cover off and maybe 4oz came out. The way everyone sounds, it's like it started gushing out. The tranny only holds 32 to 38oz's and it won't all come out on that side anyway.
Well i wasn't planning for any to come out... so it was a bit of a shock to me. Really, I just wasnt prepared for a spill.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:43 PM
Shadowbennie
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I am literally in the middle of my ape install on my 2011 SG. Taking a break for the night, gonna pick back up in the morning to start the bar wiring process...really dreading this part more than any other...

Old 03-07-2015, 04:28 PM
Murderface
Tourer

Originally Posted by Shadowbennie
I am literally in the middle of my ape install on my 2011 SG. Taking a break for the night, gonna pick back up in the morning to start the bar wiring process...really dreading this part more than any other...
It really wasn't as bad as everyone made it sound. If you have any sense, and have done your research, it won't take you long at all. Good luck to you. Pics when you're done!

Old 03-08-2015, 03:04 PM
Murderface
Tourer

Current state of things. Figured I would see how they look and feel. Right now I love them. Much better than stock. Can't wait for a long ride.

Attached Thumbnails Lessons learned while installing apes-20150308_143624.jpg   Lessons learned while installing apes-20150308_143635.jpg  
Old 03-09-2015, 05:00 PM
Cpt Morgan
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good write up OP. You can never have too many tips. I just finished up my first ever ape install as well and used several tips from here on the Forum. I drained the tranny fluid since it was time anyway. I was able to loosen the pipe and slide it out far enough to remove the cover ( vs removing exhaust ).
My 10 year old and I pulled the wiring through the bars (he kept steady pull on the wires while I pushed). I pulled the TBW and switch wires together with a piece of plastic banding. It worked really well with a bit of corn starch on the taped up wires to help slide through. One tip I found that worked really slick was using fusible solder connectors vs hand soldering and then heat shrink. Sped the process up and was a nice clean joint.
I reverse bled the brakes as well, which was very quick and easy.

Fusible solder connector

Old 03-09-2015, 05:14 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by Murderface
Current state of things. Figured I would see how they look and feel. Right now I love them. Much better than stock. Can't wait for a long ride.
Your gonna catch hell putting that switch cover back in place with your brake line ran like that.

2010 Limited with some stuff!!

Old 03-09-2015, 05:27 PM
harleynut07
Novice

Hey how scary is it to do the clutch adjustment any tips on that dont wanna fudge n e thing up

Old 03-09-2015, 10:19 PM
Murderface
Tourer

Originally Posted by harleynut07
Hey how scary is it to do the clutch adjustment any tips on that dont wanna fudge n e thing up
Clutch adjustment is super easy. The only issue I had was the fluid spill, which can be avoided by draining the fluid before hand. Adjusting the cable is simple and there are plenty of vids out there on that. Derby cover comes off easy and that is a simple adjustment as well.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:28 PM
Murderface
Tourer

Bars are on! Everything works. Got a short ride in. Around town for some pizza and beer with the ol lady. Again, I need to pull them back a little further, but so far it's awesome. I love the look. New feel to get used to. Hopefully it grows on me.

Attached Thumbnails Lessons learned while installing apes-20150309_185239.jpg  
Old 03-10-2015, 07:39 AM
SD lumpy
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

good job nice

Quick Reply: Lessons learned while installing apes