Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horn Button Extension

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 09:24 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,058 Posts
Default Horn Button Extension

Have any of you folk ever seen a horn button extension? I'm looking for such a critter, and haven't found one anywhere.

I do already have the turn signal button extensions and am quite happy with them. I'd like to be able to extend the horn button as well.

Ah, and this would be for an 04 Road King.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:32 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,863 Likes on 2,428 Posts

I've used the H-D indicator switch extensions, but haven't seen a horn button one. I'm sitting indoors at present, but would an indicator extension adapt to fit the horn button?!

Old 03-04-2015, 09:35 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

If you were to swap to cop bike controls, the siren horn can be used for your horn.

Mike

Old 03-04-2015, 12:26 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Yea, I've suspected I'm going to try the stick on turn signal switch extensions on the horn button. Don't see why it couldn't work, just wouldn't look super spiffy as I imagine in.

I've got the chrome switch housing and cruise control, so I don't know of any way to switch to the police bike controls without loosing that look and apparently my cruise control.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:17 PM
slammed05fatty
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have nothing to add here, but just out of curiosity, what benefit does this provide?

Old 03-04-2015, 07:20 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by slammed05fatty
i have nothing to add here, but just out of curiosity, what benefit does this provide?
Basically the same thing the extended turn signal switches give me, better ability to reach it when when I need it.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:44 PM
slammed05fatty
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
Basically the same thing the extended turn signal switches give me, better ability to reach it when when I need it.
cool, never had issues personally so i was just being nosey lol thanks

Old 03-04-2015, 09:13 PM
ReidRik_Von
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
If you were to swap to cop bike controls, the siren horn can be used for your horn.

Mike
I did this mod detailed here and in my opinion the police police horn is in a much better position.

I have been told that without a login to retiredpolicebikes.com you can't see images so here is the relevant part of that tread:

OK, I was able to wrap this project today.

My bike has civilian control as it has factory cruise. When decommissioned the passing lamps were wired as described above and the connection was a bit flaky where I had to occasionally jiggle the the 4 place connection to get the lights to come on. I always liked the horn position on the stock police left control so I wanted to add that back to my bike as follows:

Siren On/Off turns the passing lamps on and "P" comes on in the tach
Yelp toggles my odometer
Cruise On/Off is the left switch on the back of the nacelle
Garage door opener to tank console

Siren On/Off turns on passing lamps
I got some of my wiring questions answered in this thread. I pulled these 2 wires from the right control:

O/V power pursuit lamps and siren amp
G/R pole lamp and is also linked to the tach to illuminate the "P"

And moved them to the left control.

In order to power the Siren switch with the O/V wire, I needed to separate it from the O/W that provides the Siren power:

This is the wire loom showing the O/W wire that powers: left turn, horn, yelp, and Siren

Here I cut the O/W that leads to the Siren switch:

Applied a butt splice:

Then applied the heat shrink with glue on the inside:

Because I could not get matching wire I hit this Orange wire with a purple Sharpie. This wire now connects to the O/V at the junction at the end of the run coming down the bars. The PK/BK coming from the other side of the Siren switch connects to the G/R wire that lights the passing lamps and illuminates the tach "P":

Yelp toggles my odometer
Last winter I did this mod to move my speedo next to my tach. In doing so I kept the odometer switch in its stock location on the left side of the tank console. I liked this position however the yelp switch is a momentary switch like the odometer switch and using yelp for odometer means hands don't leave the bars when toggling between time and milage A/B.

The odometer switch is not powered so I needed to separate yelp from its O/W power. Below, Yelp is the switch with TN/BK, horn is Y/BK and they share O/W power.

I spliced a new run of wires such that the yelp switch was not powered.

Cruise On/Off...
I don't have any photos here other than the left control before this change...cruise On/Off was just below the left turn button:

Because that switch is gone, I used the stock toggle switch on the left back of the nacelle. Previously this was my passing lamps on/off. Here I just used the Accessory power which I believe is R/O rather than splicing O/W power to this switch.

Garage door opener to tank console
A long time ago I wired up an odometer reset switch to trigger my garage door opener and placed this in the right back of the nacelle (where Mic was). This worked well however I need to make a 180 degree turn to get into my driveway and in order to use this switch I had to remove my right hand from the bars/brake... Being that my odometer moved to the left control/Yelp, this position opened up. I leveraged some unused wire to connect the GDO to the left tank console so that I can open the GDO with my left hand. The reset switch that was on the back right of the nacelle now also operates the odometer along with the Yelp.

So here is what it looks like with my chrome switches added:

While I had the hood up on this project I also spliced in a run of wire to the Y/BK so that I can run a Stebel Nautilus horn that is on order. This will need to be run off of a relay so this run of wire will lead to that. The challenge will be where to hide that horn...

Last edited by ReidRik_Von; 03-04-2015 at 09:15 PM. Reason: formatting fixes...