Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio volume control switch

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 07:52 PM
cnnesseth
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio volume control switch

I have a 2010 flhx which has a volume control switch that is not functioning while driving. The volume will drop to zero on its own and sometimes will not work when I adjust it. I am looking for and video or advice on how to replace. I have replaced a stop switch by splicing in new switch. But this one should be similar but the new bottom comes with a small piece on copper which must be used to hold button on? I pulled old button off now it won't go back on and stay. I am hoping the brand new button will fit on new switch better. Thanks just looking for someone who has done this.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:22 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Doubt it is your switch. My guess is something in the radio. Mine would do that and I was going to replace the switch when I read on this forum that this is a problem with the radio. Got the radio fixed and the problem went away. You can get a great repair from Iron Cross for 250, or you can have your dealer do an exchange from Harmon Kardon for about 300. I would personally go with Iron Cross. They know their stuff and they have a year warranty.

Bill

Old 03-01-2015, 08:40 AM
cnnesseth
Cruiser

I do not have stock radio I have a jvc with biketronics and I had a sony first and never had problem but it died and went to jvc and has been doing it since.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:57 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by cnnesseth
I do not have stock radio I have a jvc with biketronics and I had a sony first and never had problem but it died and went to jvc and has been doing it since.
If the problem started when you changed radios from Sony to JVC, then I would still suspect the radio.

Bill

Old 03-01-2015, 08:59 AM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Yea I am not convinced it's switch either I'd take a ohm meter and test the old switch you take out.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:21 AM
goose222
Road Master
Received 140 Likes on 79 Posts

I have a 2010 flhx which has a volume control switch that is not functioning while driving. The volume will drop to zero on its own and sometimes will not work when I adjust it. I am looking for and video or advice on how to replace. I have replaced a stop switch by splicing in new switch. But this one should be similar but the new bottom comes with a small piece on copper which must be used to hold button on? I pulled old button off now it won't go back on and stay. I am hoping the brand new button will fit on new switch better. Thanks just looking for someone who has done this.
Good chance it is a glitch in the radio. Mine done the same thing but I figured out that if I turn the bike off and then on it would fix it. The year I owned the bike it did it twice.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:13 AM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

kinda sucks....now the switch is messed up and its probably not the cause of the problem. i hate when that happens.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:31 PM
cnnesseth
Cruiser

Does any one have any advice on which aftermarket radio is the best now days. The sony I had which worked great had detachable faceplate which failed the second year. I was checking switch wires the other and found nothing wrong with wires but did notice after I took button off then put back on the volume up did not respond like before. Thanks for the advise I was hoping it was switch but I suppose it could be radio. Only happens when I am driving. I did have new bars put on 3 years ago but wires seem good. Where do radio volume wires connect to in fairing.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:45 PM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Does any one have any advice on which aftermarket radio is the best now days...........
i don't have any problem with my HD stock radio but then again, I'm pretty simple. I have my GPS that plays mp3, my phone that plugs in via pigtail and i can stream or i can have a CD if i want. besides, the HD radio is almost bullet proof when it comes to weather.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:08 PM
elindley01
6th Gear

This may or may not be your problem. I had the same issue after installing new chrome controls. The volume began acting wacky; going up by itself, not responding to my input, etc... I tried everything, took the switch out and apart but couldn't find the issue. After a lot of hair pulling I found I had pinched a couple of the wires when screwing the control clamshells back together. This caused an almost unnoticeable break in the insulation of the two wires and they were shorting each other out. I isolated the wires, taped them up, and carefully tightened everything back up. No problems since.

Quick Reply: Audio volume control switch