Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fangs, or lower fairings?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 07:22 PM
Gasguzlr
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Fangs, or lower fairings?

I know there's been some discussion of this topic in the past, but after searching the archives I haven't really found anything diffinitive to help my decision.

I've got a 2014 SGS. I put the fangs on, and have been really happy with how they smoothened out the airflow and back-pressure behind the windshield. Now I want to add the lowers, as I like the look and the storage and the increased protection up here in central Alberta. I was going to get the quick-release setup, as I like the airflow in warmer weather and I've read that the lowers block the air, even with the vents open.

Problem is, the lowers don't work with the fangs, so when I take off the lowers, I'll have all that buffeting back. So I may consider just leaving the lowers on all the time and living with the extra heat for the few months it's warm up here.

On the other hand I may just keep the fangs on and leave things well enough alone. However, if anyone has done any testing to see which solution solves the buffeting problem more... fangs or lowers... I'd love to hear it.

Cheers guys, and thanks for any help you can give me.

ross

Old 02-28-2015, 08:06 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Gasguzlr
I know there's been some discussion of this topic in the past, but after searching the archives I haven't really found anything diffinitive to help my decision.

I've got a 2014 SGS. I put the fangs on, and have been really happy with how they smoothened out the airflow and back-pressure behind the windshield. Now I want to add the lowers, as I like the look and the storage and the increased protection up here in central Alberta. I was going to get the quick-release setup, as I like the airflow in warmer weather and I've read that the lowers block the air, even with the vents open.

Problem is, the lowers don't work with the fangs, so when I take off the lowers, I'll have all that buffeting back. So I may consider just leaving the lowers on all the time and living with the extra heat for the few months it's warm up here.

On the other hand I may just keep the fangs on and leave things well enough alone. However, if anyone has done any testing to see which solution solves the buffeting problem more... fangs or lowers... I'd love to hear it.

Cheers guys, and thanks for any help you can give me.

ross
The lowers and fangs will work together...I have both and know lots of folks that do...

Old 02-28-2015, 08:15 PM
Tampakingpin
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lower fairings only seem to be good in rain. I barely use em for wind resistance.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:20 PM
DLSSOJC
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, the hard lowers absolutely do work with the fangs (fork mounted air deflectors). I have them on my bike and would not do without them.

For the ultimate setup, get the adjustable air wings for the lower part of your batwing fairing. The triple tree mounted air deflector, the hard lowers, and the fork mounted deflectors. All of these together produce the best results.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:38 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

fairing lowers contribute to motor cooling- you'd do better to leave them on if motor cooling is your concern.

mike

Old 03-01-2015, 01:05 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,923 Likes on 1,257 Posts

I have quick release lowers for my bike but have not installed them yet, I'll make them work with my Harley fangs. I have the faring wings also but don't always use them.
I use a full face helmet, this bike with a re-curve windshield and fork wind deflectors alone produces a very calm air area to ride in, just about no turbulence.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:43 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

I live in the Houston area where it's 100 degrees in the summer, and I don't notice any downside to having lowers year round. In fact, I even put speakers in them so there's no way I would do without them now.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:11 AM
lefty33
Road Warrior
Received 651 Likes on 454 Posts

Yup...they work/fit just fine...on pre-Rushmore bikes anyway.

I bought the HD issue fangs...dealer parts guy said they won't fit or work with lowers. I took a chance and bought them anyway. Full lock both ways and there's still a minimum of 1/2" clearance.. Maybe not enough for Harley's comfort level of clearance??

Harley "Fangs" Fork-Mount Wind Deflectors-57400146A http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...20-57400146--1

I also added the Front Fork Air Baffle-58520-79TC http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...ork-air-baffle

I run the Harley 10" Windsplitter windshield with stock UC seat and at 6'3" I get virtually no head buffeting.

Attached Thumbnails Fangs, or lower fairings?-img_0716.jpg   Fangs, or lower fairings?-img_0715.jpg  
Old 03-01-2015, 10:17 AM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by DLSSOJC
Yes, the hard lowers absolutely do work with the fangs (fork mounted air deflectors). I have them on my bike and would not do without them.

For the ultimate setup, get the adjustable air wings for the lower part of your batwing fairing. The triple tree mounted air deflector, the hard lowers, and the fork mounted deflectors. All of these together produce the best results.
works for me too.

Old 03-01-2015, 11:33 AM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I even put lowers on king and street glide when I had it.

Over 50mph they are useful

Quick Reply: Fangs, or lower fairings?