Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finished installing V&H Dresser Duals - lessons learned

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 03:36 PM
mupepe
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finished installing V&H Dresser Duals - lessons learned

It only took my about 8 hours haha

I've made a few threads over the last week about some problems I had. I basically had an exhaust leak on my OEM exhaust and torquing the nuts down did nothing. Once I got the OEM exhaust off I noticed there was no gasket in the front cylinder. So all my torquing would have never fixed it.

Instructions from V&H were pretty good. The job was easy but I was doing it mostly by myself and I have gotten into trouble in the past with rushing so I took my time. I was also mostly doing it in the dark. Finished at 10pm last night when it was 40 degrees.

I couldn't get my left muffler off of the OEM pipe after spending an hour trying. And it took my about an hour to get my right one off. I took the left to a muffler shop and asked for help. They did it for free. I tried to pay him but he wouldn't take it. They've got a customer for my cars oil changes and services from now on.

After tightening everything down the pipes looked crooked. Spent an hour trying to figure that out. My heat shield for the front pipe was shifted. Dumb dumb dumb.

After all that I started her up last night and she sounded incredible. It was all worth it!! I was too tired and cold to ride so I went out this morning.

But uh oh. Saw my muffler torca clamps on the table. D'oh! Forgot to put them on. I guess i got way too excited towards the end. So i yanked off the mufflers (came off easy this time) and reinstalled with the torca clamps.

This time I found an easier way of getting them on. I got a big hard cover book and a rubber mallet and knocked them on. Worked like a charm.

So it was a hell of an experience but that sound was well worth it and when I get on it she howls down the free way.

Thanks to everyone on this site who made previous threads on installs and who gave me advice. I'm spilling on here so maybe someone can learn from me.

Old 02-27-2015, 04:29 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

and before you run these...clean at least 3 time with windex so your handprints are not cooked into the chrome

mike

Old 02-27-2015, 05:33 PM
mupepe
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
and before you run these...clean at least 3 time with windex so your handprints are not cooked into the chrome

mike
Oh I definitely did. I wiped them very clean before ever starting them.