Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can this be true ????

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007 | 07:11 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Can this be true ????

ORIGINAL: nine11c2

Ha, ha, ha....

My wife's family thinks that if it's gonna go down below freezing and you have only a 1/4 tank in the car, you gotta go fill it up or the gas in the tank will freeze. No amount of talking will convince them otherwise (gas typically remains COMBUSTIBLE at like -100F - the best figure I've gotten is that, while it differs by gas component, gas freezes as something like -238 degrees F).
The fuel won't freeze, but when there is space in the tank, you COULD get condensation which is something you don't want in your fuel.

Old 04-21-2007 | 07:13 AM
Motes
Novice

Not true..

Randy

Old 04-21-2007 | 08:57 AM
vtxed
Tourer

What a WEIRDO your neighbor is. Ask him if he believes in ghosts.

Steve

Old 04-21-2007 | 09:34 AM
johnny canuck
Road Captain

This myth was started by our friends at the MoCo so they could sell you their rubber parking pad for $5.75

Old 04-21-2007 | 10:02 AM
bluesteel
6th Gear

Hay the next thing he will be telling you is to pull his finger while he passing gas. He,s out ofhis mind.

Old 04-21-2007 | 10:28 AM
NC_Biker
Cruiser

Save your old batteries and place them around your jiffy stand, works for me. Oh and if you wanna find out if your concrete is the conductive type, grab the 110 hot wire stand on concrete (bare feet). Let us know!!!!

Old 04-22-2007 | 12:11 AM
btefft
Outstanding HDF Member

I use an adjustable trickle charger on my scoot, that way I can be sure the electric current flows in at a rate congruent to the rate of leakage of current down the jiffy stand into my concrete floor. But the best thing about this set-up is that outside the garage, in my pansy flower bed, it makes earthworms come to the surface so that I can go fishin' while the scooter battery is being restored to its full amperage.

Hack

Old 04-23-2007 | 05:50 PM
NYNickET
Road Captain

i'll tell ya what the jiffy stand does do. . .it F's up your damn drive way cement big time. . . .

Old 04-23-2007 | 09:23 PM
choochoo
Banned

Actually it was true about 50 years ago when batteries were made out of a carbon plastic.
these would drain to ground through the case, that's why dad and grandpa never set them
on directly on concrete.
But the new plastics (since the 60's) don't have that problem.
and since there is no direct connection between the neg and pos terminals when the battery
is not hooked up it isn't the resistance there that drains it.
Just a normal breakdown of the electrolytic chemical reacting against the metal in the plates.
But when battery is hooked up in the newer bikes (fuel injected) it is referred to as a parasitc draw.
The ECM draws current and so does the radio even when key is off. and over the course of time will drain battery.
I have a stock 01 EG (original) that I removed in about feb 2002 and put on shelf in back porch
(not heated), no tender.
Put it back in bike (after rebuild) in Mar 2007. Still had 4.89 volts in it. slow charged on and off for a few days volts came up to 11 +. (should of wrote down but didn't).
Switched charger to boost and started bike. Took charger off and volt guage was reading 14.5 in a few minutes.
Granted I will probably need to replace soon as it most likley won't hold a charge for long.

Old 04-23-2007 | 09:36 PM
BiggestDawg
Advanced HDF Member

I gotta brige for ya if you buy that one

Quick Reply: Can this be true ????