Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric oil pressure gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 04:46 PM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,092 Likes on 654 Posts
Default Electric oil pressure gauge?

This is for guys who ride bikes that didn't come with an oil pressure gauge. Anyone install an oil pressure gauge with an electric sender and the gauge up by the handle bars? There has to be some sort of switch already installed in order to trip the oil light when there's an issue. I figure I could locate that, install a t-fitting with one male end and two femal ends, and run the stock switch and the sender at the same time. Then I would just tap into a power source and mount the gauge somewhere?

I want to have the ability to monitor the oil pressure without having to look down by the engine at an analog gauge.

Is that do-able? If you've done something like this, please post your experience.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:08 PM
senna
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

The factory sending unit is on the lower right front of the motor. And there is probably a wiring harness in the faring.

Last edited by senna; 02-23-2015 at 05:10 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:27 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,864 Likes on 2,428 Posts
Lightbulb

Just use the factory sender unit, if your bike doesn't have one, plus a suitable gauge. I would add that my favourite indy hates the darned things - they cause more trouble than they're worth! Owners start getting neurotic about something they would be better off not knowing about. Be warned......

Old 02-24-2015, 06:12 AM
shakrr
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought a dakota multi gauge that will do oil temp, oil pressure, volts and display two off them at once. I used the stock oil sender location for pressure and have the temp sender on my oil cooler adaptor on the filter. I mounted the gauge in their pod and put in on the front of my speedo on my console

Old 02-24-2015, 08:10 AM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,092 Likes on 654 Posts

This is for an 04 RK if that matters. I'm pretty sure the stock sensor is just a switch to let you know when you have an oil pressure issue via the light on the display. If that's the case, it's not capable of reading pressure range. I would need to add an actual sending unit in order to get pressure readings on a gauge. That's why I figured the t-fitting would be ideal, so I could maintain the switch and add a sender.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:39 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,864 Likes on 2,428 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by SWThomas
This is for an 04 RK if that matters. I'm pretty sure the stock sensor is just a switch to let you know when you have an oil pressure issue via the light on the display. If that's the case, it's not capable of reading pressure range. I would need to add an actual sending unit in order to get pressure readings on a gauge. That's why I figured the t-fitting would be ideal, so I could maintain the switch and add a sender.
There are two sensors available, an 'oil pressure switch' for bikes that only have a warning light, the other, an 'oil pressure sender', for bikes that come with an oil gauge. To install a gauge, swap sensors. You can see more by comparing say an Ultra spec with an RK by using one of the on-line parts websites, like this one.