Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Security TSSM Install Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 10:21 PM
sgr60
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Copyless
Sorry about that, I guess you were replying at the same time I was, I was working on one of my bikes, when it hit me (like a ton of bricks) what both of you were talking about, and like I put in my reply just a minute ago, I wished I hadn't remembered.

The link is now working I just checked it, and it came up, but I didn't read it, because I don't want to remember it all right now, because I remember that it was a long, drawn out, time consuming, nothing happening process.
Thanks, for posting it anyway, and pointing me in the right direction, like I said in the other reply, I am glad I didn't remember it, and probably glad your link didn't originally work, because (since I didn't read it) I don't know for sure what parts of the learning process you posted, but if he did that part, he would be stuck with a bike that would no longer run for sure, until the FOB's were assigned to it.

Thanks though, I do appreciate the help though.

Yes sir - what your saying sounds exactly right. Much appreciated.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:21 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts

In the electrical diagnostic manual (and I don't believe any manual does) never refers to the FOB as the HFSM it is only referred to as the key fob or fob, the FOB with no button - for the HFSM, the FOB with a button - for the TSSM, and also if you have ever read the instructions for installing these items, then you will know that there are three different items that can control the security, 1- TSSM (turn signal security module), looks like the HFSM only it does not have the extra connection for the antenna, 2- HFSM (hands free security MODULE), it has two places on the end to plug into, the extra one being the antenna, 3- BCM (body control module)- looks nothing like the other two, it is flat and has the plug connector on the back of it, and not the end, like the other two. So, the HFSM is not the part you carry in your pocket, that is the FOB or Key FOB.

Like I have mentioned a few other times, this is how things get confused and nomenclatures not meaning anything.
I have programed many,I am very familiar with setting up the security on these bikes and the components.Perhaps you should try to correct some of the other members on here with the myths and BS they post about the security system.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:07 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by geezer glide 56
I have programed many,I am very familiar with setting up the security on these bikes and the components.Perhaps you should try to correct some of the other members on here with the myths and BS they post about the security system.
No sense in giving these guys crap about what you call it or even what Harley calls it. Splitting hairs...

Apparently everyone is all "confused" because when called out in literature and service parts:

The TSSM and HFSM are both "systems" and individual parts.

The "TSSM" is the security module that runs with Push button Fobs - no antenna.
The "HFSM" is the security module that runs with the buttonless/proximity fobs - has antenna.
Both are modules that are installed on the bike itself.
Both are modules. Modules.

The "TSSM FOB" is the FOB with a button.
The "HFSM FOB" is the FOB without a button.

Case in point, Harley states that the end user must:

1. "Install the new turn signal/security module (TSSM), Hands Free Security Module (HFSM), or BCM from this kit, following the instructions in the service manual."

2. "See a Harley-Davidson dealer to activate the key fob to the TSSM, HFSM or BCM."

Bigger question is, since you are VERY familiar with the setup and components of these systems, do you have any information that will actually help the OP?

Anything the OP can do besides taking it to the Dealer?

For reference: http://www.harley-davidson.com/app-c...ts/-J04082.PDF

Last edited by lp; 03-01-2015 at 07:11 AM.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:52 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
No sense in giving these guys crap about what you call it or even what Harley calls it. Splitting hairs...

Apparently everyone is all "confused" because when called out in literature and service parts:

The TSSM and HFSM are both "systems" and individual parts.

The "TSSM" is the security module that runs with Push button Fobs - no antenna.
The "HFSM" is the security module that runs with the buttonless/proximity fobs - has antenna.
Both are modules that are installed on the bike itself.
Both are modules. Modules.

The "TSSM FOB" is the FOB with a button.
The "HFSM FOB" is the FOB without a button.

Case in point, Harley states that the end user must:

1. "Install the new turn signal/security module (TSSM), Hands Free Security Module (HFSM), or BCM from this kit, following the instructions in the service manual."

2. "See a Harley-Davidson dealer to activate the key fob to the TSSM, HFSM or BCM."

Bigger question is, since you are VERY familiar with the setup and components of these systems, do you have any information that will actually help the OP?

Anything the OP can do besides taking it to the Dealer?

For reference: http://www.harley-davidson.com/app-c...ts/-J04082.PDF
He needs to take it to the dealer and talk to a tech that does the work,instead of a service writer that might be clueless.When it comes to security system questions on the forum,there is so much misinformation,it is overwhelming for the op with the original question.My advice, Take it to the dealer.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:25 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,370 Likes on 2,543 Posts

Originally Posted by big papa AZ

What about all 0's?
no zeros. digits 1 - 9 only

Like I have mentioned a few other times, this is how things get confused and nomenclatures not meaning anything.
the TSSM is international, the HFSM is domestic.

where did you get those instructions you posted above? i have never seen those (and no where have i seen where you have to have both fobs present when you change your pin)

Old 03-01-2015, 12:32 PM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 223 Posts

I think maybe Harley's naming the setup process, Password Learn, confuses people because passwords are usually associated with security. So naturally people think it has something to do with setting up PIN's and marrying the FOB's to the bike. It has nothing to do with PIN's, or FOB's. The bike's modules need to learn and remember the password that uniquely identifies the HFSM presently attached to the bike. That allows them to communicate and run the bike when security is disarmed.

Much about the HFSM and H-DSSS is not publicly documented. It's an area the MOCO offers limited detail. I believe someone advised talking to the dealer technician as the best way to go. I agree.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:30 PM
sgr60
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, I finally got a chance to take the bike and the security module over to the dealership - the short answer is that without knowing the PIN for the security module, there is nothing they can do.

The guy I spoke to said that they have tried before and can't do it. I pushed back a little, but he wasn't willing to hear what I had to say. So I'm at the point now where I have two choices I guess - either bring it to another dealer, or just bite the bullet and buy a new security module from the dealership.

It's really too bad, it would have been nice if they were able to get it done using the scan tool...