Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Security TSSM Install Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 03:56 PM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 223 Posts

There are two separate operations to be performed with a new HFSM. One is the "password learn". That operation marries the HFSM to the bikes ECM. It has nothing to do with the PIN or the FOB's. The second operation is the "actuation" of the H-DSSS, Harley-Davidson Smart Security System. That operation must be done by an authorized dealer using the DT II system. That's the operation that assigns the FOB's and the PIN number. If the original assigned FOB's are lost and the PIN is not known there is no way to arm or disarm the security system. The H-DSSS actuation must be repeated by the dealer with new FOB's.

Old 02-28-2015, 04:08 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 558 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by sgr60
Well I tried 20 codes that I thought it might be, no luck. Looks like the PO actually set a personal code... just my luck!

Next step I guess is to go over to the dealer and see what they can do. I'm not sure how thrilled they will be to help me install my $50 used part rather than having spent the $350 for the kit from them, but it's worth a shot I guess.

Will have to wait until the weather warms up and the snow melts of course - hopefully in the next couple of weeks or so.
I don't know about your scooter, but my '07 has a way, described in the owner's manual, to determine the current personal code. But my '05 manual doesn't. So apparently there are different models of security systems.

Old 02-28-2015, 04:42 PM
Copyless
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rjg883c
I don't know about your scooter, but my '07 has a way, described in the owner's manual, to determine the current personal code. But my '05 manual doesn't. So apparently there are different models of security systems.

You can get the code but you have to have an assigned FOB with you at the time, you can not get the code without the FOB.

Originally Posted by Bingee
There are two separate operations to be performed with a new HFSM. One is the "password learn". That operation marries the HFSM to the bikes ECM. It has nothing to do with the PIN or the FOB's. The second operation is the "actuation" of the H-DSSS, Harley-Davidson Smart Security System. That operation must be done by an authorized dealer using the DT II system. That's the operation that assigns the FOB's and the PIN number. If the original assigned FOB's are lost and the PIN is not known there is no way to arm or disarm the security system. The H-DSSS actuation must be repeated by the dealer with new FOB's.

Bingee, I still do not know what the "Password Learn" is, can you help me out with this. Because the only one I know of is the actuation, that you described. Installing a security system only requires actuation that I know of, and if the password learn step is where you make changes to the TSSM then that is the function of changing the PIN, because during actuation which has to be done with the DTII, you assign both FOB's to the vehicle, and enter the PIN (hopefully, picked by owner), that's it. In all actuality, you do not have to assign a PIN on a HFSM vehicle (it should be done, but does not have to be), now on a TSSM vehicle, you have to enter the PIN or else the TSSM has to be replaced if the FOB is lost, so the only thing that has to be done on any of them is assign the FOB's, but if you lose the FOB and have no PIN on the HFSM it can be done with the DTII, lose the FOB and no PIN on the TSSM, you have to throw it away and get a new one.

The only other thing I have ever had to do is what I mentioned earlier, about the extra steps that have to be followed any time power has been removed from the security module.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:04 PM
sgr60
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Copyless
Bingee, I still do not know what the "Password Learn" is, can you help me out with this.
This is the password learn procedure - https://app.box.com/s/a01de215ed6080294da4

It's not setting the pin, it's getting the security module learned to the ecm.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:27 PM
Copyless
Supporter

This is the password learn procedure - https://app.box.com/s/a01de215ed6080294da4

It's not setting the pin, it's getting the security module learned to the ecm.

Is the link supposed to take me to something? It only takes to the "The requested page not found". "learned to the ecm" what does that even mean, that reminds me of some friends that would say "can you learn me to ....", but I hope you fix the link and can point me in the right direction, or maybe even tell me what steps it consists of, or the process to accomplish it?

If by "learned to the ecm" you mean process of mating the H-DSSS to the bike then that is the actuation process, again, I have outlined the process a couple of times, and as far as I have ever known (and still have been shown nothing different) there is only one thing that HAS to be done, and that is assigning the two FOBS to the system, at which time the PIN should be entered, but does not have to be done you can exit with the DTII without doing this.

Last edited by Copyless; 02-28-2015 at 06:36 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:12 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 558 Likes on 405 Posts

You can get the code but you have to have an assigned FOB with you at the time, you can not get the code without the FOB.
I need have a FOB there and a FOB also needs to be there to reset the code. But apparently different years have different requirements.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:20 PM
Copyless
Supporter

Originally Posted by rjg883c
I need have a FOB there and a FOB also needs to be there to reset the code. But apparently different years have different requirements.

I agree with that, earlier years had a different sequence, as in what you manner you might push the buttons or such to get to the code, but not different requirements, the FOB always had to be there to change or see the code, this is the only requirement. The other difference on some was what I posted earlier, about what had to be done if you lose both FOB's.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:53 PM
sgr60
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Is the link supposed to take me to something? It only takes to the "The requested page not found". "learned to the ecm" what does that even mean, that reminds me of some friends that would say "can you learn me to ....", but I hope you fix the link and can point me in the right direction, or maybe even tell me what steps it consists of, or the process to accomplish it?

If by "learned to the ecm" you mean process of mating the H-DSSS to the bike then that is the actuation process, again, I have outlined the process a couple of times, and as far as I have ever known (and still have been shown nothing different) there is only one thing that HAS to be done, and that is assigning the two FOBS to the system, at which time the PIN should be entered, but does not have to be done you can exit with the DTII without doing this.
I'm not sure why the link isn't working - it's directing to an HDForums page rather than the file - try just copying and pasting this link to see the procedure - https://app.box.com/s/a01de215ed6080294da4

What I mean by learned to the ecm is that the security module has to be married to the bike's ecm. This is from the HD Electrical manual. This would be the steps taken when adding new module, but before the FOBs are programmed and a PIN is set.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:11 PM
Copyless
Supporter

Now I remember what you are talking about with the "password learn" you are talking about the big long drawn out process of starting the bike, it stalling, then you waiting and waiting for the light to go off, then turning it off and on and waiting and waiting, for ever and ever(it seems like) only to do it (I can't remember) like two or three more time. I wish I would not have remembered this, and I am glad I had forgot it, and hope to never have to do it again.

They are correct, I remember you had to do this for the ECM, I forgot about the HFSM, but yes, you had to do it for the HFSM, I don't believe it was necessary for the TSSM?

I apologize for the lapse in memory and the brain fart, but it maybe a good thing, because if he performed the learning process, then he would not be able to start the bike at all without the DTII. You can do the learning process, but once it is done then you have to assign the FOB's. So it's a good thing that (hopefully) isn't done, because as long as it's not done the bike can be started by removing the module, because the first time you try the learn process the bike starts but stalls and sets a code because it doesn't recognize the password, so if the HFSM is removed and the TSM replaced the bike should start up and run since it should see the correct password at that point.

Man, I must have been thinking and typing this reply for a while, about as long as the process takes, because sgr, you had not posted when I started this, and then I post it and there you are, 18 minutes before, I must be dozing off or something.

Last edited by Copyless; 02-28-2015 at 10:23 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:19 PM
Copyless
Supporter

I'm not sure why the link isn't working - it's directing to an HDForums page rather than the file - try just copying and pasting this link to see the procedure - https://app.box.com/s/a01de215ed6080294da4

What I mean by learned to the ecm is that the security module has to be married to the bike's ecm. This is from the HD Electrical manual. This would be the steps taken when adding new module, but before the FOBs are programmed and a PIN is set.

Sorry about that, I guess you were replying at the same time I was, I was working on one of my bikes, when it hit me (like a ton of bricks) what both of you were talking about, and like I put in my reply just a minute ago, I wished I hadn't remembered.

The link is now working I just checked it, and it came up, but I didn't read it, because I don't want to remember it all right now, because I remember that it was a long, drawn out, time consuming, nothing happening process.
Thanks, for posting it anyway, and pointing me in the right direction, like I said in the other reply, I am glad I didn't remember it, and probably glad your link didn't originally work, because (since I didn't read it) I don't know for sure what parts of the learning process you posted, but if he did that part, he would be stuck with a bike that would no longer run for sure, until the FOB's were assigned to it.

Thanks though, I do appreciate the help though.

Quick Reply: Security TSSM Install Questions