Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark Knock? Or something worse maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 09:03 AM
mupepe
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Knock? Or something worse maybe?

Was riding on my way to work this morning and started hearing a really loud knock coming from the engine. Found that if I cruise at any rpm between 1st and 5th gear I'm fine. If I accelerate or go up a hill (basically put any load on the engine) then I hear it. If I'm in 6th gear at all it's really loud.

I thought maybe bad gas, but I haven't put any gas since Wednesday evening and that was more than 120 miles before the knock started. Either way, I filled it with some other gas this morning and it's still there.

Any suggestions? I'm going to see how it goes on my way home and if it's bad gas it should run out by then I'd imagine (40 more miles).

Old 02-20-2015, 09:10 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Could be your primary compensator. When mine was loose that is the sound it made.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:20 AM
mupepe
Cruiser

Aw man. I hope its just the gas.

To add some details I forgot earlier. Its a 2014 road king. 11,500 miles since September. I did all the services when schedules with quality oil and parts. Its stage one with a PV tune.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:12 PM
Don81
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Best way to figure out if it's pinging or not is to toss in some 100+ octane. In your area hit up AJ's racing fuels in channelview. Looks like they carry VP so they should have the 105 unleaded but call and ask what they've got.

As long as it's unleaded it won't hurt anything and if it's really pinging you're hearing it will go away. If it doesn't go away it's something else.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:21 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,604 Likes on 2,725 Posts

Could very well be valve train noise - lifters.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:25 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 107 Posts

What year and model are we talking about/

Any upgrades?

Got a tuner?

Old 02-20-2015, 12:30 PM
mupepe
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Don81
Best way to figure out if it's pinging or not is to toss in some 100+ octane. In your area hit up AJ's racing fuels in channelview. Looks like they carry VP so they should have the 105 unleaded but call and ask what they've got.

As long as it's unleaded it won't hurt anything and if it's really pinging you're hearing it will go away. If it doesn't go away it's something else.
Thanks! I'll give that a try then.

Originally Posted by keithhu
Could very well be valve train noise - lifters.
That's honestly kinda what it sounds like. Like the valves are slamming shut.

Originally Posted by scrmnvtwins
What year and model are we talking about/

Any upgrades?

Got a tuner?
Sorry. Missed that in the OP. It's in my 2nd post in this thread...

Originally Posted by mupepe
To add some details I forgot earlier. Its a 2014 road king. 11,500 miles since September. I did all the services when schedules with quality oil and parts. Its stage one with a PV tune.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:31 PM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

If it was me, I'd take it to the dealer for warranty analysis/repair. No sense worrying about what is a MoCo issue.

I'd remove the tuner so it won't confuse the issue, either restore the 'original' tune, or throw the original air-cleaner back on so it won't run lean.

There's any number of issues it could be. I'd let the dealer pull HIS hair out, figuring it out.

Alan

Old 02-20-2015, 12:45 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 107 Posts

may be the tuner, I once got water in the connector, tuner needed tune reloaded. A

If you have the program and a laptop, connect to tuner, "Reset" tuner then reload program.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:08 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Don81

The way you describe this, it's pinging and this is what I would do first.

Quick Reply: Spark Knock? Or something worse maybe?