Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark Knock? Or something worse maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 08:29 AM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
My point about the PV was to rule out knocking, not as a fix (though you may not be referring to my post).

I agree, take it in, but the real diagnostics begin when the dealer says "it's normal"

Wasn't referring to your post, Keith. You are correct though, the PV can tell the user a lot. I have one, and it can give me far more info than I myself am capable of accessing.

Nah, my response was given in the general sense. Since the bike is still under warranty it makes sense (to me) to take it in and have anything serious ruled out first. But you're right again, if and when they say that the engine is in fine shape, then the fun begins. That being said, I'd start right where you suggested, and take a look at timing advance and tune.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:47 AM
mupepe
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I'm going to go get the 100 octane fuel from AJ's in a few. Dealer appointment is at 11 30. I'm not expecting much from them considering an answer I got on the phone was "well with these engines there is an acceptable amount of knock" even after I explained it had never knocked before.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:56 AM
mupepe
Cruiser

One more thing. It sounds a lot like an exhaust leak. I thought that's what it was for the first few minutes of my ride yesterday morning.

Old 02-21-2015, 02:17 PM
mupepe
Cruiser

Welp. Got it figured out.

It sounded like an exhaust leak because it was one. My dumb *** missed the whole exhaust flange nut that had fallen off on the front jug. Got a new nut, but found that the top one had been torqued down by a gorilla and stripped til it was round.

Went and bought some grip tite sockets, came right off and I replaced it as well and torqued to spec according to the service manual. Sound is gone and I checked for leaks and I think I'm good to go.

Thanks for everyone's advice and suggestions

Last edited by mupepe; 02-21-2015 at 02:21 PM.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:29 PM
gomiller2
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you found the problem Ride on.

Old 02-21-2015, 03:29 PM
mupepe
Cruiser

Shoot. looks like I may have spoken too soon.

I didn't replace the gasket since I just retightened and I think I'll need to. I can't hear it at idle or low speeds but there are certain RPM's (mid range) where I definitely can. And I can smell the exhaust at these RPM's too.

Will I harm the bike riding it this way? I'm starting to think I always had a small exhaust leak. Part of it sounds "normal" to me, but it's a lower volume version of the sound that alarmed me.

Do I need to take off the entire exhaust system to put this gasket on? Or should I be able to get to it just by loosening the flange nuts?

Old 02-21-2015, 04:12 PM
mupepe
Cruiser

Now I'm thinking my head is messing with myself. My wife says she doesn't hear anything but it sounds like a leak still to me. Near the front cylinder is a ticking sounds of sort. This is driving me insane.

Old 02-21-2015, 05:19 PM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by mupepe
Now I'm thinking my head is messing with myself. My wife says she doesn't hear anything but it sounds like a leak still to me. Near the front cylinder is a ticking sounds of sort. This is driving me insane.
I have the same thing or similar , it's in the front at a certain rpm range. I can't duplicate the noise for them. Good luck I hope you find the sound as I am searching for a similar sound.

Old 02-21-2015, 05:53 PM
mupepe
Cruiser

I'm pretty sure mine is an exhaust leak and I am pretty sure its been that way since I picked up my bike used with 2900 miles. Someone had to have stripped that nut so I am assuming the OEM nuts fell off and he decided to put them back on so damn tight it would never happen again and the gasket just didn't fit the way it originally did after that. Or something.

Will I be okay until I head back to the dealer and get a new gasket and have the time to put it on? It hasn't blown up since I've owned the bike.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:07 PM
mupepe
Cruiser

No decel popping by the way