Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark Knock? Or something worse maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 01:32 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If it is pinging?
What type of fuel do you use?
I would let the dealer take care of it?

Old 02-20-2015, 01:33 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,604 Likes on 2,725 Posts

Originally Posted by dribble
The way you describe this, it's pinging and this is what I would do first.
You have a Power Vision, correct? You could use it to monitor knock events while you ride, that way you can be sure if it is or isnt pinging.

I think Pinging and lifter noise while riding sound very similar. I was convinced I had horrible pinging problems before I had my 107 done.

Jamie showed me my pistons, zero evidence of pinging. My suspicion is valve train or lifters.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:39 PM
tpcowfish
Road Warrior
Received 193 Likes on 170 Posts

Had an 11 ultra limited do that, slowly got worse, dealer picked it up, gave me new bike, something about the crank, good luck. Take it in, or call them

Old 02-20-2015, 02:10 PM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts

I completely agree with the others that have suggested taking it in. If it's under warranty, I wouldn't spend 5 minutes trying to figure it out hoping that it's a simple fix. It very well may be a timing issue that can be fixed by retarding it some through the PV. However, if it's a bigger problem than that, it's better to know sooner than later.

The PV and the stage 1 do not void the warranty, so there should be no reason to restore the motorcycle to stock level before taking it in.

Old 02-20-2015, 02:16 PM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,869 Likes on 9,332 Posts

When my motor was a 103SE, it developed a knocking sound. Turned out to be a head gasket. More work into it found a crank runout of .019". That destroyed the oil pump and cam shoe surfaces and set metal all through the motor. I'll never trust Patriot Harley again. Now I have a 107 by Skip's Cycles of Winchester.

Old 02-20-2015, 02:45 PM
gomiller2
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you down shifting when you twist the throttle so the motor wont lug and ping just a thought these things love Rpms.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:25 PM
mupepe
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gomiller2
Are you down shifting when you twist the throttle so the motor wont lug and ping just a thought these things love Rpms.
Nah. Definitely not lugging but the sound is similar. I'm hearing it in fifth at 75 mph.

The ride home didn't make it any better. I called the dealer and I'm heading there tomorrow so they can take a look since I got home too late to try the 100 octane fuel. If they say something about the stage 1 that's the way they sold it to me when they told me about my warranty. Can't take the slip ons and air box and out on stock since I don't have them.

I also tried reloading the tune and it made no difference.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:08 PM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Posting to find later , I have similar sound I have been trying to track down. I get knocking sound @ 2750 rpms no matter the gear. Mine is a 2014 Road King also.

Old 02-21-2015, 12:24 AM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Could it be the "C" lifters ( made in Mexico ) that are the issue?

Old 02-21-2015, 07:24 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,604 Likes on 2,725 Posts

Originally Posted by gipper
I completely agree with the others that have suggested taking it in. If it's under warranty, I wouldn't spend 5 minutes trying to figure it out hoping that it's a simple fix. It very well may be a timing issue that can be fixed by retarding it some through the PV. However, if it's a bigger problem than that, it's better to know sooner than later.

The PV and the stage 1 do not void the warranty, so there should be no reason to restore the motorcycle to stock level before taking it in.
My point about the PV was to rule out knocking, not as a fix (though you may not be referring to my post).

I agree, take it in, but the real diagnostics begin when the dealer says "it's normal"

Quick Reply: Spark Knock? Or something worse maybe?