Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike wouldn't downshift this evening.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 09:54 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Regardless of whether or not he followed the correct protocol for down shifting or not, he has got a problem with something. Maybe they didn't put any oil in the primary or maybe they put too much oil in there.
The only way to get this worked out is to call the dealership and tell them the bike won't shift after they worked on it. Let them work out the reason why. This makes you wonder if the mechanic that worked on the bike took it out for a test ride after fixing it. Probably not if the weather was bad.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:27 PM
yones12
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtdobber
When stopped and trying to change gears, gearing down, can be a pain at times. Even letting the clutch out some will help but not always.
I would ride it for a while making sure you down shift going to a stop and see if that helps. If it does help you found the problem most likely.
What ever you do DO NOT STOMP ON THE SHIFTER trying or apply force to make it move.
If you have done this it could be the problem.

Is this your first HD?
I will defiantly try to make sure I'm in 1st gear when coming to a stop. Like i said i usually do but sometimes i don't. And, the shifter wasn't stuck, it moved freely, i have at least some knowledge on not trying to stomp it if it's not moving

Yes it is

Last edited by yones12; 02-18-2015 at 10:37 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:29 PM
yones12
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Retrop
Regardless of whether or not he followed the correct protocol for down shifting or not, he has got a problem with something. Maybe they didn't put any oil in the primary or maybe they put too much oil in there.
The only way to get this worked out is to call the dealership and tell them the bike won't shift after they worked on it. Let them work out the reason why. This makes you wonder if the mechanic that worked on the bike took it out for a test ride after fixing it. Probably not if the weather was bad.
Yes, i did call them and they said bring it back as soon as i can. They said "he" test drove it and it was fine. He may, or may not have but i'll take it back tomorrow and see what they find.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:44 PM
NO PCKL
Road Warrior
Received 541 Likes on 301 Posts

The bike not shifting through multiple gears when sitting still is normal. Anybody chime in here, but I don't think anybody can go out to their bike, grab the shifter and go up or down through the all the gears without the bike having to be physically moved. If you let the clutch out but still had the break on, you didn't allow the tranny to move. If it gets stuck downshifting while sitting still, simply rolling if forward a couple inches will set the next gear and allow it to downshift again.

Old 02-19-2015, 02:44 AM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

That's what I'm thinking.

I could be wrong.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:52 AM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can go out to my bike (not running) while its sitting in the cold garage and without using the clutch lever work the shift lever from 1st to neutral, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th and back down through the gears to 1st.
I never got the memo that Harley Davidson's had to engine brake only!

Old 02-19-2015, 06:02 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,829 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Originally Posted by orangevette
I can go out to my bike (not running) while its sitting in the cold garage and without using the clutch lever work the shift lever from 1st to neutral, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th and back down through the gears to 1st.
Typically I can't do that with mine without rocking the bike back and forth.
The Dogs on shafts need a little movement to allow them to engage the gears. Most I can click up or down is a gear or two - without movement.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:12 AM
96roadking
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by orangevette

I use the brakes to slow down and stop whenever possible, it's my belief that that saves wear and tear on the drivetrain. That being said, I'm usally looking at the speedo and downshifting to the proper gear while slowing. It's a PIA to start off in a gear higher that 1st!

Old 02-19-2015, 07:22 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts

The one thing that hasn't been said is that if the dealer only changed the outer primary cover they didn't need to add or take out any fluid at all and probably didn't unless they told you they needed to.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:55 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,829 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Originally Posted by santajim
The one thing that hasn't been said is that if the dealer only changed the outer primary cover they didn't need to add or take out any fluid at all and probably didn't unless they told you they needed to.
You're thinking derby cover. You have to drain the primary if you need to replace/remove the outer primary cover.

Quick Reply: Bike wouldn't downshift this evening.